Nash-Finch - Nash Finch Co....May you R.I.P---We loved you so very much! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nash-Finch

"Nash Finch Co....May you R.I.P---We loved you so very much!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fargo (Chad)
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fargo (Chad)

I worked at Nash-Finch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nash Finch Co. has an uncanny ability for finding great locations for building/leasing retail stores space. Awesome!

Cons

Nash Finch Co. has the uncanny ability for finding and the retaining the most unethical store directors in it's 125 year history! Donating to Banks for their employee brunch-- Inspite of the fact, these banks are located in our competitors stores? Cash donations?? Donating to BANKS that reported a 43.8 BILLION dollar net profit,for THEIR fundraiser?? Donating equipment for stores Nash had to close, to yourselves?

Advice to Management

Get on the CLUE TRAIN! I spent the last 18 yrs. of my employment working @ a location that was blessed by the Gods. Store was connected directly to a dry cleaners and a liquor store. But wait, it gets better--in the center of TWO large Medical Centers. In the wealthiest section of town. 3 drive-thru fast food joints. New schools, a library, and apartment buildings galore.On one of the busiest intersections in town--with 4 driveways; yet we lost 2/3 of our customer base. Poor Management. Simple!
    Human Resources--OMGOSH! Here's a story I'd like to share with everyone. Its makes me
chuckle whenever I think about it. When I decided to leave NFC. , I wrote my resignation letter. I requested my vacation time, unused and accrued-(the vacation I earned from anniv.date-departure approx.33 1/3 hrs.) , I also requested an exit interview. 2 days later I
received a handwritten letter from a senior member of Human Resources, denying my request for accrued vacation. Enclosed with his letter was a page from the 2005 Employee Handbook-he circled the date for me and highlighted what he interprets as his best excuse to rip me off. It was 2011, I had a 2008 edition. I felt pretty good when I realized I, a mere store employee had a more current issue than than he did. I never received my exit form either. I still want my money!!
     Loss Prevention. You make the 3 Stooges looks like Seal Team 6. When given evidence-
of managerial theft 11 examples over a 1 1/2 years, complete receipts, dates,and times. Proud to fire deli clerks for sampling too much but can't fire night crew managers that sell 600.00 dollar gift cards for 300.00 dollars. Can't fire store managers that take employee discount for their assisted living centers? REALLY??

Other Employee Reviews for Nash-Finch

1. "Retail an afterthought and will not promote from within."

Current Employee - Retail in Unknown (Bangladesh)
    Current Employee - Retail in Unknown (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Nash-Finch full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, not much else

Cons

This company wants nothing to do with retail. Will not support their people. Will not promote from within. Wholesale is what they do and retail is an afterthought and a complete joke.

2. "One crisis after another"

Pros

Lots of projects that involve cross functional interaction help you learn about many disciplines like merchandising, finance, distribution, etc. Opportunities exist for career development and training.

Cons

Too many silos competing with each other. Incentives for each silo are at cross purposes leading to conflicts and confusion. Constant conference calls that last forever. Many have no specific agenda and lack focus. Technology here is 20 years behind.

Advice to Management

Walk the talk. You have a culture statement but you don't practice it in your interactions with associates. Especially respect. Don't expect from us what you are not willing to yourself.