NationBuilder - Horrible to employees | Glassdoor

"Horrible to employees"

Pros

Some good people work there. Benefits are standard tech company benefits. On paper, they stand for laudable ideals, like open data and empowering leaders.

Cons

Firing many people for no reason, with no notice. What you are told when you are hired is vastly different than your experience working there and potential for advancing. CEO screams at employees regularly. He also undermines engineers' work. One of the VPs is a tone-deaf misogynist. You won't be happy here.

Other Employee Reviews for NationBuilder

1. "A great place to work to do hard & menainglful things"

Current Employee - Vice President, European Business Development in London, England (UK)

Pros

I joined NationBuilder as it was going through a tough time. However, it has been both humbling and exciting to see the company get back on its feets and focus on the road ahead.

I have never worked with such a dedicated, strong and clever group of people in all of my career. For the first time in a long time I can see myself working for a long time at NationBuilder; partly because of the group of people I work with daily but also because there is so much potential and so much to be done. NationBuilder is one of those places where there is never a lack of work to go around.

Some of the greatest pros:
    - Extremely clever and dedicated people;
    - A company with strong values and a clear mission (that the whole company believes in);
    - Lots of room for taking ownership, leading and growing;
    - Lots of exciting work;
    - Fascinating customers with very diverse problems;
    - Lots of room for market expansion in Europe and elsewhere;
    - NationBuilder doesn't have any real competitors and the company is doing something very new and different which is exciting;
    - The company cares about its employees and understands that everyone has different needs (and works hard at ensuring everyone is looked after);
    - Lots of hard work but there is also a great work/life balance.

Cons

I honestly don't have many cons. NationBuilder is one of those places where if you feel strongly about something and you don't feel like something is working, you can step-up, offer alternatives and potential change the way things are done (if the solutions are indeed better). As a result most of the cons I can think of are no longer cons.

One of the cons I can think about:
    - As with all startups, you need to be flexible as things change often and fast. Things as NationBuilder do indeed change often and fast.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.
    I am excited to be working with such a great leadership team that cares about the company, the business and the employees. There is no such thing as too much cross-team and inter-company communications, and this is the one thing we could spend more time working on.

"Director"

Pros

Innovative company that catered to employees personal and professional situations. Focus on culture and team building. Lots of opportunities to engage in diverse projects.

Cons

Long, long hours. Expectation to work long hours. Expectation to live company culture outside, even in personal life. Opportunity for growth with more responsibilty but no pay raise.

Advice to Management

Actually take into account staff opinions. Establish realistic goals. Make better financial decisions so not to let go of half of the staff in a several month period.