"Don't Let Yourself Be a Sacrificial Lamb for $32,000"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Abortion Federation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good health insurance that is not costly. Seven hour work day plus one hour of paid lunch. The job is a good stepping stone if you don't have any experience in the nonprofit sector and want to build your resume.

Cons

For many reasons, this job is just not sustainable. First of all, the pay is extremely low, especially in the DC area. The majority of people here have to work second jobs in order to pay their rent and the only people who do not have to do so, have partners who make way more money. Likewise, the only people who really have longevity at this organization are with more well off partners. The yearly raises here are abyssal, and with taxes come out to be an extra $60 or so each month. Despite being told that we don't have it in the budget to raise our salaries, somehow NAF was able to build a multi-million dollar office space and fill it with unnecessary conveniences like fancy coffeemakers. Meanwhile, our CEO takes lavish vacations on her yacht while the rest of us work two jobs just to pay rent and bills. In terms of work-place culture, some employees at NAF are blatantly disrespectful and downright abusive. NAF claims to be a feminist organization that wants to fight gender oppression, yet NAF continues to defend and protect sexual harassers and racists who work here. Despite multitudes of complaints to HR, these people still work at NAF and some even continue to take on more powerful positions. Speaking of HR, complaints are not confidential and sometimes you'll even get reprimanded by upper management for filing a complaint against someone. There's not a lot of written policy and protocol in place, which NAF uses in its favor to reward some employees while degrading others. For example, if you work on the Hotline, you are told that you can't negotiate your salary since the budget is too tight. However, some people in the past have been able to negotiate a multi-thousand dollar salary increase (which is unheard of here) simply because they are management's favorite, despite having HR complaints against them. Because of this, the turnover rate is very high. Making it to your one year anniversary is a feat, as many people leave within months of working here. If you're not burned out from the emotional labor, you're burned out from the salary. If you're not burned out from the salary, you're burned out from dealing with toxic people who are cloaked in a shield of protection. Management will want you to be a sacrificial lamb, who deals with abuse, taxing emotional work, and low pay because they know you believe in the cause. They use your altruism as a weapon against you. Believing in a cause doesn't pay the bills.

Continue reading
    National Abortion Federation2017-12-23

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Law Student Intern"

5.0
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at National Abortion Federation

Pros

They trusted me with lots of responsibility and I had the opportunity to do lots of different tasks--from legal research to updating fact sheets to drafting testimony and letters for members. The employees are wonderful and the work culture is very supportive and friendly.

Cons

There is little room for advancement/upward mobility since the staff is small.

National Abortion Federation2017-09-26

"Great Place To Be If You’re Optimistic"

4.0

I have been working at National Abortion Federation full-time

Pros

-Great office location -Good PTO/holiday structure -Nice office -Lunch catered from time to time -Best co-workers

Cons

Working at NAF is what you make of it. There are a lot of things to be thankful for or optimistic about. Some folks dwell on the past but ever since NAF received a new (interim) CEO, I think incremental (good) change has come. Like any work place there is gossip and problematic people in upper management positions but I think the same could be said for most organizations.

Continue reading
    National Abortion Federation2019-03-07

Discover more reviews about National Abortion Federation.