National Academy of Sciences - Harassment Problems | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Harassment Problems"

I have been working at National Academy of Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, you will get to learn a significant amount and constantly get to learn about new subject areas, you will meet some really cool people.

Could be a pro, could be a con: you may have a lot more responsibility than your job title (I liked having some of the responsibility I had but, when I end up doing my director's entire job and he takes credit for it and then tells me I'm useless, that is messed up).

There are good directors. If you get a good director and are on a good team, it can be a great place to work. It is really difficult to tell at the outset though.

If you need a job, take the job (we all have rent and we all need to eat). Keep looking for other jobs while you are working here though.

Cons

They have serious harassment issues.

Sexually harassed on offsite workshops and meetings. Didn't report some incidents because I was more concerned about the institution dealing with the harassment I was receiving constantly from my director.
*Also, let's be real, sometimes it takes a while to realize what is happening and to stop downplaying sexual harassment incidents or recognize them for what they are. You know you are uncomfortable and something isn't right, and sometimes the actions are so gradual that it's easy to be like "oh, this isn't anything" but, all together and when it builds up, "you feel like you can no longer report".

You will be told it is your fault for being harassed by your director; will be told how to amend your behavior to better accommodate and anticipate his needs; will be told you need to let his behavior slide because he is just old.
- Same individual has invited a young lady into his office while wearing just his boxers and no pants. (she refused to report and downplayed the incident although, her text messages immediately after were opposite - they are very good at making it known, it is not to your benefit to report anything)

There are individuals who have been at the institution 20+ years who have had legal and institutionally imposed restraining orders against them from other staff... and the harasser is still there.
*One was finally removed after 10+ young ladies built a file and submitted together (the harasser wasn't fired but, the program no longer had money)

If you do report to HR, and you survive the ordeal they put you through, you will still receive repercussions and punishment for reporting the issue. My promotion/title change suddenly disappeared and the individual who downplayed the boxer incident was promoted (to be clear, other junior staff have taken on far more responsibilities than she ever had and they are unable to move job positions - some even filling in as a program director for over 3 months of a study)

No matter which building you work at (there are 3 in the D.C. area), individuals I have spoken with at all locations have had serious issues of some sort and know not to report to HR.

Advice to Management

Fire people who are harassers and stop blaming and punishing the victims.

Seriously, get with it. You think you are addressing a problem but, you aren't. You are shoving under a rug as best you can and calling it clean.

#MeToo

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Not ideal and predictably about the bottom line"

Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

Pros

Always learning about new things and meeting new people.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Failure to recognize success of staff. Hierarchical and not at all collaborative. Staff expertise not valued or welcomed until it matters. Tight budgets, inflexible staffing structures, inconsistent policies throughout the entire organization. Administrative professionals are overworked and underpaid, and expectations/demands for these professionals are high despite existing barriers. Gaslighting is not unheard of. Diversity across race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. in senior staff and committee membership is limited.

Advice to Management

Hierarchical structure is ineffective. Listen and heed advice from staff. Value all staff and HR to train supervisors/leaders to value all staff. Value and provide promotional opportunities for administrative professionals.

2. "No complaints"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Academy of Sciences full-time

Pros

Calm, respectful (and respected), predictable, no-drama work environment. Also tolerant and welcoming.

Cons

I don't always know about other parts of the Academies so if I want to learn more from colleagues outside of my Department that is difficult to do.

Discover more reviews about National Academy of Sciences.