National Academy of Sciences - Harassment Problems | Glassdoor

"Harassment Problems"

I have been working at National Academy of Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty good benefits, you will get to learn a significant amount and constantly get to learn about new subject areas, you will meet some really cool people. Could be a pro, could be a con: you may have a lot more responsibility than your job title (I liked having some of the responsibility I had but, when I end up doing my director's entire job and he takes credit for it and then tells me I'm useless, that is messed up). There are good directors. If you get a good director and are on a good team, it can be a great place to work. It is really difficult to tell at the outset though. If you need a job, take the job (we all have rent and we all need to eat). Keep looking for other jobs while you are working here though.

Cons

They have serious harassment issues. Sexually harassed on offsite workshops and meetings. Didn't report some incidents because I was more concerned about the institution dealing with the harassment I was receiving constantly from my director. *Also, let's be real, sometimes it takes a while to realize what is happening and to stop downplaying sexual harassment incidents or recognize them for what they are. You know you are uncomfortable and something isn't right, and sometimes the actions are so gradual that it's easy to be like "oh, this isn't anything" but, all together and when it builds up, "you feel like you can no longer report". You will be told it is your fault for being harassed by your director; will be told how to amend your behavior to better accommodate and anticipate his needs; will be told you need to let his behavior slide because he is just old. - Same individual has invited a young lady into his office while wearing just his boxers and no pants. (she refused to report and downplayed the incident although, her text messages immediately after were opposite - they are very good at making it known, it is not to your benefit to report anything) There are individuals who have been at the institution 20+ years who have had legal and institutionally imposed restraining orders against them from other staff... and the harasser is still there. *One was finally removed after 10+ young ladies built a file and submitted together (the harasser wasn't fired but, the program no longer had money) If you do report to HR, and you survive the ordeal they put you through, you will still receive repercussions and punishment for reporting the issue. My promotion/title change suddenly disappeared and the individual who downplayed the boxer incident was promoted (to be clear, other junior staff have taken on far more responsibilities than she ever had and they are unable to move job positions - some even filling in as a program director for over 3 months of a study) No matter which building you work at (there are 3 in the D.C. area), individuals I have spoken with at all locations have had serious issues of some sort and know not to report to HR.

Continue reading
    National Academy of Sciences2018-03-08
  1. "Values of the NRC position"

Current Contractor - NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at National Academy of Sciences for more than a year

Pros

In overall, the position is invaluable. I have the research lab facility and freedom to do my research and publish in conferences and journals. The position allowed me to build and design a system and test it in real world environment.

Cons

There is nothing negative about it.

National Academy of Sciences2019-05-02
  2. "Great Place to Work but not for long?"

Current Employee - Associate Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Academy of Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, very cool projects

Cons

extraordinarily bureaucratic and technologically inept

Continue reading
    National Academy of Sciences2020-03-26

Discover more reviews about National Academy of Sciences.