National Board of Medical Examiners - A fair company that offers job security and opportunity for stead advancement, but not without some cumbersome policies. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for National Board of Medical Examiners

"A fair company that offers job security and opportunity for stead advancement, but not without some cumbersome policies."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

- 35 hour work week
- Comfortable work environment
- Location
- Job security
- Decent benefits
- Flexible manager

Cons

- Too much red tape / administrative policies
- Official policies are inflexible; need to have a supportive / flexible manager
- Promotion is slow

Advice to Management

A more casual office environment and office policies would encourage greater productivity and allow for more employee comfort/satisfaction

Other Employee Reviews for National Board of Medical Examiners

1. "Certain Departments don't encourage advancement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Flex time, 35-hour work week, very good benefits package, including all health, personal days, vacation and sick days, and Transit vouchers. Friendly coworkers, many who have been there for decades. Some managers give more leeway than others in terms of schedule changes (doc appts, kids' games, etc.) Great salary range, especially for a nonprofit organization.

Cons

The section I worked in, which was a sub-section of Testing Development, did not encourage advancement. If you worked in that department, it was discouraged to move out of that sub-section into another part of Testing Development (although the supervisor of my department said at one point that you could, then months later acted as if she didn't), unless you're an overqualified hire with experience in another area of TD. Depending on the budget, an employee might be hard-pressed to get professional development in department I worked in, we were supposed to get CD courses from the American Medical Writers Association, but never got them, at least when I was there. Also, unless you've worked there for many years, one can feel isolated from the other sections of Testing development. The communication between departments is not very good at al, many sections of the company don't know what the others sections do, as if each section is its own little island. I heard they're adopting a new approach to departments communicating with each other but we'll see. I also had issues with how my probation which led to my dismissal was handled, by my supervisor because some thing didn't add up.

Advice to Management

Put your money where your mouth is when promoting advancement. Learn what the other departments are doing, many don't know unless they have a friend who works in another section. If some of your supervisors have a history of forgetting things, as mine did, hold them accountable.

"Respected employer but very ivory tower"

Former Employee - Examination Editor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Examination Editor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

-Excellent benefits (excellent pension, time off, low cost health insurance)
    -Flexible scheduling
    -Good location (University City: youthful vibe to the neighborhood)
    -Prestigious name to put on resume
    -One of the few places where senior editors are eligible for paid overtime
    -Team work environment
    -Job security

Cons

-Long hours
    -Change takes a long time to implement
    -Job security means advancement takes a LONG time
    -Cumbersome employee review process
    -Cubicle arrangements make it hard to have peace to get work done

Advice to Management

-Be better listeners to your staff; they're in the trenches, they have opinions that matter.
    -Cut back on the number of meetings!