National Federation of Independent Business - I believe in what NFIB stands for! | Glassdoor

"I believe in what NFIB stands for!"

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started 5 months ago as a field membership representative for NFIB! Before accepting the position, I worked for 15 years in a fast paced retail environment, the last 10 years as a manager. I worked 70+ hours a week, weekends, holidays, stress filled, and spent little to no time with family. Needless to say, I was ready for a change. I had been applying on and off for other companies for over a year with no success for a better opportunity. I found NFIB job posting, on a job board, and decided to apply for the position close to my area. The interview process is extensive as I went through a phone get to know you call, a real phone interview with recruiter, and then a final face to face interview with the sales manager over my territory. Then, upon being chosen, the manager set me up for a job sample with an existing field rep, which essentially lets you get a taste of what being a membership rep is all about without the commitment. It gave me an opportunity to ask my trainer all of my need to know questions before I took the position. The whole process from applying to hire took about a month, but it was worth the wait. I researched NFIB extensively before accepting the position, and found mainly positive information about the company, which is almost unheard of for sales type positions. After much deliberation with my wife, I decided to accept the position with NFIB, and the rest is history. After 5 months with the company, I am now completing a sales training course to help further my career with NFIB, and the sky is the limit. I truly do believe in everything this organization stands for, we are The Voice of America's small and independent businesses and as a membership representative of NFIB, I get to share our story with business owners every day! I have taken the liberty of adding several bullet points on everything I believe is a Pro about NFIB below so you can make an informed decision! -More family time (Monday-Friday type schedule, but you can work weekends if you choose) -Make your own schedule to an extent (You can start as early as you want, and end as late as you want, as long as you are finding business owners) -Unlimited earning potential with some of the best commissions in any sales job out there, and huge bonus and residual potential as well plus monthly mileage reimbursement -Working for a great cause (NFIB testifies and advocates for small business owners at Federal and State level) -Working for a non-profit organization -8-10 county territory (depending on the size of counties) with basically unlimited opportunities to find prospects. -Great sales tools and technology (use ipad for everything from prospecting to sales presentation to processing member sales transactions.) -Training programs are phenomenal (1 week of on the job training at first, follow up retraining during your 3rd week, and invaluable 1 week sales training class when you hit weekly goals for a certain time period which only helps you to continue to further your career. -Long term employees with wealth of knowledge at your fingertips -Experienced company leaders from my direct manager all the way up to the top. (Majority of leaders are promoted from within) -Reputation (76 years standing up for small business owners) -Great benefits (insurance, 401k, wellness program) -6 month new hire compensation plan is top rate and honestly a huge plus versus taking any other sales job out there. -Advancement Opportunities (several different levels of leadership opportunity from becoming a certified trainer and much more) -This is not a MLM or anything remotely close to MLM, which is a plus for me. You determine your income, and the members you help believe in NFIB and what we stand for.

Cons

There are only really 2 true cons that I can think of this particular position. -Wear and Tear on vehicle (you do drive a lot, but they do provide mileage reimbursement to offset that cost) -The job is repetitive, so it can be a mental game to overcome. Your biggest enemy is yourself in this job. You have to stay positive with yourself and just keep telling the story by the script with passion, conviction, integrity, and you have to believe in NFIB to tell that story to business owners. These aren't really cons, just want to address some misconceptions that I have seen or heard since I have been with NFIB. -The biggest misconception about really any sales job is that anyone can do it. Sales jobs are not for everyone. This job is different, you don't have to be a salesman or have sales experience, you have to be able to tell a story. You have to be a Talesman. -You either need to have great memorization skills, or be prepared to work your butt off to be able to memorize this (This is me), because their is a verbatim script that is quintessential to what we do. It is the backbone, you can't just wing it and expect to do well with this job. -It is commission based, which means your activity, your effort, and your ability to tell our story determines your earning potential. Right now I am making around the same $ I was making at my previous position with a large retailer I worked for 15 years. That means it took me 15 years with that other company to make it to the level I am at working 5 months with NFIB, wish I would have started here 15 years ago. My earning potential continues to grow. -You have to be able to handle rejection, which is true in any sales job, having a thick skin is important. You can't take the no's personal, they are not saying no to you personally. The yes' and the members you help make all of it worthwhile, and keep you going everyday. -Last, you have to have a great work ethic. You can't just coast by in this job. Attitude+Effort=Success

National Federation of Independent Business2019-11-08
  1. "25 years in same role and love it. Great earning potential with flexibility representing small business"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great bonus and commissions incentives with awesome benefits and flexibility

Cons

Cold calling business to business

National Federation of Independent Business2020-03-31
  2. "Field Member Representative"

Former Employee - FMR in Newark, NJ

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a fantastic experience with this company. Unfortunately I had a lot of personal/family issues that occurred during my time with NFIB. HR and my boss Mike who was my division manager over NJ,PA and part of NY were extremely supportive. My son was in the hospital and they took care of me. As a Veteran of OIF/OEF I really felt like they genuinely cared for my family and my well being. This was the first job I took after retirement from the Army. I was nervous at first but then realized I was helping our GREAT Country again. I moved on for personal reasons but was told I could return when I want. I recommend anyone who has the confidence and drive to help out our independent buisness owners to join this organization!

Cons

Training could have been a little better.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-02-24

National Federation of Independent Business Response

March 19, 2020National Director of Employment

Thank you for your feedback. One of the great things about working for NFIB is our culture of support and concern for our employees. Advocacy on behalf of small business is what we have been doing for the past 77 years and the outside sales representative role allows the organization to continue to provide small business with a voice. I appreciate your feedback regarding the mileage report, if you feel comfortable, please reach out to me at Shelbie.Webster@Nfib.org so I can obtain more information. Thanks!

Continue reading

Discover more reviews about National Federation of Independent Business.