National Gallery of Art - Current Employee | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Current Employee"

Current Employee - Security Guard in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Security Guard in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Gallery of Art full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Environment, Great knowledgeable Co-Workers, Professional Management

Cons

There are no cons to any position at the National Gallery of Art

Other Employee Reviews for National Gallery of Art

1. "3.5 stars would be more accurate"

I worked at National Gallery of Art full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The NGA is a wonderful place to work but you will deal with some issues along the way. On one hand, you are working at the nation’s art museum, in a beautiful building, with an amazing collection. This is no small thing and shouldn’t be discounted – it is easy to take it for granted after a while. Most of the people are great, too (keyword: most). Projects are big and collaborative and enjoyable. It does add a certain level of clout to your resume, and you will be a great dinner party guest because everyone will want to talk to you about your cool job. Benefits are good – standard federal stuff with some extra little perks thrown in like a discount at the Sculpture Garden ice rink and food/drink at Jazz in the Garden.

Cons

On the other hand, the place has some real issues. I encountered ageism and sexism in my time there. If you are under the age of 40, certain people will treat you like a child no matter your capabilities. There is a group of higher-ups who run the show and are extremely reluctant to give up an ounce of power to anyone else, which then results in power struggles for everyone else beneath them. Like any other institution within the federal government, you will encounter people who do not do their jobs efficiently, for various “reasons.” I do suspect this problem is milder here than in the major federal agencies though. There is a distinct fear of change, typical of many conservative institutions. There are a lot of entry level jobs, and a lot of upper management, without much in the middle. This means you often have to move out to move up. Nepotism / favoritism is another rampant problem. All of these things just become very frustrating to be around day in and day out. However, your experience will likely vary greatly by department / manager.

Advice to Management

Somehow, despite all of that, I think the NGA is heading in a good direction. There has been some movement toward modernizing and embracing digital initiatives, which is great. And they do seem to be taking some steps to at least think about employee satisfaction. Many department heads and managers are at or nearing retirement age, and I have hope that they will be replaced by people who are willing to enact positive change. It could be a very different place in 5-10 years if they hire strategically – and I mean that in a good way.

2. "Gallery Protection Officer"

Former Employee - Gallery Protection Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Gallery Protection Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at National Gallery of Art full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great entry level security position within the government system. You are surrounded by priceless works of art and great people.

Cons

It is very dull work. You are assigned to two or three gallery rooms and are there the entire day. Work/life balance is not very good. As a new employee, I had two consecutive weekdays off.

Advice to Management

Improve duty location rotations. As well, better utilize transferring employees. I was a sworn police officer and I did apply for a security position. However, there are/were positions that better suited my training and experience that may have lend me to staying.