National Heritage Academies - Priorities all wrong | Glassdoor

"Priorities all wrong"

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time

Pros

Very structured, organized, agenda after agenda, meeting minute after meeting minute. Lots of teaching materials and resources. At my particular school, fantastic parent involvement and student population. Parents were very grateful for all the hard work coming from the teachers and overall, very satisfied.

Cons

I'm all for high expectations, student achievement and rigorous academics. However, NHA and this school in particular see students as a meer number on a piece of paper. Green, yellow or red--based on their standardized test score performance. Way too much emphasis is placed and directed toward the quality of teachers based on a computerized, standard test. At the end of the day, yes--we all want our students and children to learn and grow. We want them to succeed and do well and be at the top of their class. However, they are a person- not a product, not a number. Admin was overall cold and not compassionate. Teachers were expected to do ridiculous amounts of work that had nothing to do with teaching and learning. NHA strives for excellence, and they pride themselves on running like a 'company'- a large charter school organization that they are- yet they do not want to compensate or reward their employees for a job well done. They know where every cent goes (a good thing in school management) however are not willing to invest the money in teachers that will stay for a long time and make a difference. High teacher turnover. Every second of every day for a teacher was taken up, and planned months in advance for them. There was no trust in their teaching ability, or flexibility for them to be creative educators. Admin was like a dictatorship-employees did not feel heard or even allowed to speak their opinion in fear they may lose their job or make the school 'look bad.' Employees felt as though they needed to re-word their true feelings and felt manipulated. Kids could not be kids. Not enough time to eat lunch or for a brain break. Kindergartners were asked to take home 'valentine' bags to make for homework because it was not related to a core academic subject area. They want their teachers to be seen (before school hours, during, after school) working their behinds off, but not heard. Teachers felt unsupported and burnt out. So many terrific, superb teaching abilities and teachers there- it is sad that they won't be there for long if the school keeps running in the direction it has been. Kids are kids- which will be (we hope) compassionate, loving, hard working, intelligent adults. NHA wants robots who all think the same, obey every rule and not step out of any boundary or box. They are not trying to help mold a creative adult, but rather a high SAT score.

Advice to Management

Friendly, but fake. Many of the parents and staff thought of them as very cold. They were looking out for the best interest of the company and the best interest of the numbers on the paper (which made them look better), not their actual human workers who sacrificed day in and day out. It is helpful to have at least 1 or 2 managers/admin that have actual children.

Other Employee Reviews for National Heritage Academies

1. "Too many constraints ruin the art of teaching...."

Pros

The students can be great to work with. I can't wait to see how the flourish when every action isn't dictated by a corporate educational system.

Cons

I never, in my life, thought that I would have the "I don't get paid enough to do this" view on teaching. This "organization" is WAY too focused on their streamlined "school-wide classroom management system" and micromanaging for me to truly be passionate about teaching. I understand that consistency is something to strive for within a school, but it is taken to the point where one's individual teaching style is jeopardized and looked down upon in order to be streamlined with these beliefs. The "dean model" is silly--basically deans are hired to micromanage and pick apart (in areas that they are often not credible for...) individual teachers. Praise is rarely received, unless it is focused on the school-wide classroom system. If you like somebody to dictate everything that you should be doing and looking over your shoulder at all time telling you whether or not you are a good or bad teacher based on a corporate school structure, this is the place for you. However, if you love being able to impart your own knowledge, experiences and teaching style on your students, go back to public schools. I never thought teaching would hinder my personal life and satisfaction, but I have not enjoyed my time working for NHA in the slightest, minus some of the fantastic students I have.

2. "Not a bad company to work for"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at National Heritage Academies as a contractor

Pros

Lots of friendly people and family oriented work environment

Cons

Management isn't very strong so if you're from a well structured organization, it can be hard to adjust to.