National Heritage Academies - I am a teacher of over 5 years, currently working in an elementary classroom. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for National Heritage Academies

"I am a teacher of over 5 years, currently working in an elementary classroom."

Current Employee - Music Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Music Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at National Heritage Academies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong moral focus emphasis; teachers committed to their craft and helping students reach potential. Majority of parents are engaged, supportive, and interested helping their children meet with success.
Good benefits!

Cons

Corporation is heavy-handed; curriculum changes frequently as does report card. Little support in terms of textbooks and materials. I feel this is, in part, due to the frequent changes that take place within the curriculum. Not a fan of the dean model which involves frequent classroom observations and feedback which is given during "planning" period. I can be trusted to be a good, even excellent, teacher who wants the best for my students.
More and more of our planning time is taken up with mandatory tasks and meetings. Many playground supervisions required as well. NHA schools ask more of their teachers than traditional public schools and for less pay.

Advice to Management

Before implementing more changes in curriculum, plan for resources to support your teachers in the classrooms.

Other Employee Reviews for National Heritage Academies

1. "Summer program Para Pro"

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Hamtramck, MI
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Hamtramck, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. These teachers really are looking out for their students. Working hard to bring out the best of each student.

Cons

Can't seem to get back into the company. I know I did a good job while there, I just can's seem to be able to connect to the right people to help me get back in.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of older worker, they have a lot to offer, and are willing to give the job the very best of it.

"Hearts are in the right place, execution is poor"

Former Employee - Corporate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Corporate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at National Heritage Academies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NHA's healthcare benefits are second to none - tough to find with many employers today. A commitment to help inner city youth succeed.

Cons

Low pay, unreasonable expectations, limited support, inexperienced leaders, too much reliance on their mission and not enough focus on the people making it happen each and every day. Annual turnover regularly exceeds 40-50% of total staff.

Advice to Management

When you are burning teachers out the way the turnover numbers suggest you are, something needs to change. You get what you pay.