National Instruments - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very friendly coworkers, the managers care about the accomplishment and growth of employees. It's fun to work there.

Cons

The salary is not very good, comparing to other high-tech companies.

Advice to Management

Provide free food!!

Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments

1. "Has some good and some bad"

I worked at National Instruments full-time

Pros

They focus on their employees and try to make it a place you want to go to everyday.

Cons

Big gaps between departments. Some departments are not run well. Good old boy mentality.

2. "A company that really cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere and the attitude of all the employees is amazing. It is very relaxed, but at the same time everyone likes to work hard and you will get recognized for working hard. Management is genuinely concerned about making sure that employees enjoy their job. I look forward to going to work every day.

NI has never had mass layoffs. During the recession, everyone (including management) took a pay cut to avoid layoffs. After the initial recession was over, all pay was restored. This says a lot about the company.

Because the company is growing quickly, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement, and it is very merit based, not tenure based.

Positions have core responsibilities, but there is also a lot of flexibility in how you spend the rest of your time, so if you see something you would like to do, you can. In my role I am given a lot of autonomy and appreciate that I have the trust of management to spend my time wisely. This is definitely not a micro-management company. If you are very motivated and a self starter, you can really excel here.

Cons

To really excel quickly, you will find yourself working long hours, but this is by no means required.

The salary is a bit lower than some other engineering companies. This makes sense initially because there is a large up front cost to recruit and train new employees, however the lower starting salary means that in the long term employees have a lower salary than competitors.

Advice to Management

Address the concerns with salary to increase employee retention. There is a disconnect between the salary of the sales engineers and the R&D engineers.