National Instruments - Great people to work with, lots of job opportunities within the company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for National Instruments

"Great people to work with, lots of job opportunities within the company"

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company culture is fantastic - people are approachable, the attitudes are positive, there's a lot of energy in every department. Most departments have a great work hard/play hard approach. If you work hard/smart there are good opportunities to move into new roles and advance in the company. NI hires bright, motivated people that want to get things done. NI is also very stable - there's never been a layoff and the company is run in a conservative manner.

Cons

Over time, as the company has grown, some bureaucracy has set in the makes it more difficult to get things done as compared to the past. The bureaucracy is not nearly as bad as many other companies, however. Also, the total compensation package of the company used to be above average and had some unique advantages; however, as the company has grown the overall compensation has become pretty average.

Advice to Management

Figure out ways to differentiate the total compensation package from the rest of the industry.

Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments

1. "Good people, fun projects, mediocre salary"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to work on great projects if you can move around enough in the company.

Cons

Creativity is not always valued; personal side projects don't get much support. The salary and benefits are below grade for companies in this sector. Management is pretty social so if you don't have an outgoing personality it will be harder to get promotions.

Advice to Management

Focus on creativity. Create a culture of continuous education. Award people for pushing the envelope.

"Technical Communicator"

Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Technical Writer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My department is very laid back, this isn't true of every group at NI, though. They are a fiscally conservative company, and by being so, they have never had mass layoffs. I appreciate the stable environment. Additionally, there are lots of smart, innovative, passionate people who work here. My manager makes it easy to balance work and the rest of my life. We are treated like adults and allowed to manage our time as we see fit as long as we meet deadlines.

Cons

Fiscally conservative also means low salaries. The promotion policy is bizarre. They will promote you, but you don't get a corresponding salary increase until you've proven yourself in your new position. There are not a lot of opportunities for career growth in my area and I have felt stuck for quite some time.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings a bit. If you value hiring and retaining the best and brightest, then compensate us like you mean it. My salary increases (when they've happened) have not come close to keeping up with cost of living.