National Instruments - Very good | Glassdoor

"Very good"

Current Employee - Staff Test Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Staff Test Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at National Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family and work balance. A ton of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Too much consensus to reach a decision. Salaries could be a bit better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments

"culture is not a career"

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at National Instruments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I went the AE-PSE path that technical new hires usually take. I did well in both, won some awards and ended up staff level before I took off.

I chose NI out of college for a few reasons I think are still valid:

1) Austin is a fun place to be the first years out of college. This isn't related to career at all but I think it provides a good way to come out of your engineering shell and establish a work life balance by finding people and things you like and can engage in while driving a career. No one should be the 35yo engineering stereotype.

2) The exposure to different engineering disciplines and companies in AE is unmatched by anything but a marketing or sales role.

3) NI technology is valuable and innovative.

Some reasons I think I over-weighted are:

1)Stability. If you can get into NI, you have other options anyway, but you will have to try to get fired. While this acts like insurance while you get your feet under you to be industry competitive, you just don't need it.

2) Great place to work. Form your own opinion on this. No statistic will ever say what culture you personally will enjoy.

3) ELP. ELP is a "marketing construct" (the guy who started the program's words, not mine), not a job reality.

Cons

I left the company after three years for a few different reasons:

1) Management overhead. It is ridiculous how many managers there are in R&D and how poorly they function at developing talent.

2) Inability to take risks to provide opportunities, on both an individual and product level.

3) Lack of performance on an individual and product level. This has officially been recognized within NI as critical issue causing growth problems. My opinion is that it is heavily tied into the first two issues

To a new hire I think the bottom line is that this is a learning opportunity, not a career company.

Advice to Management

You have to pay people more - you really just do. I believe an accurate statement of current NI pay structure within R&D is "we reward long term loyalty by paying senior level people individually determined salaries raises and have much smaller, inflation based raises for people at lower levels." However, every senior level person I know is dissatisfied with their pay and the people you want in those positions don't feel the need to wait around for ~5yrs to start getting raises.

Improve the transition between and within roles. I will only be satisfied when I am sure my career is limited only by my abilities and determination, not predefined paths, "informal relationships required to progress" (section manager's words, not mine) or tenure rules. In practice I think this means expecting more of people and enabling them to do it. Especially within R&D, this wasn't my experience.

Fire or actively reallocate some people, including managers. You can't process away a bad work ethic and I don't think you can afford to try.

2. "Hardware Engineer"

Pros

good work-life balance, work hard, play hard.

Cons

Moving up can be really competitive. Salary is good but not great.