National Instruments - Great place to work | Glassdoor

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Work with smart people. Good work environment. Good hours. Interesting work. Very steady employer (no layoffs). Good location.

Cons

Pay is mediocre. Promotions/recognition are dependent on what team you're on. If you are on a low-profile team, you won't be seen.

Advice to Management

You'll lose all your experienced people if you don't give some raises soon.

Other Employee Reviews for National Instruments

"Great place to work full-time, but not to intern"

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

-Good community/culture
    -Lots of opportunity to make your ideas known
    -Opportunity to take on projects in different areas of the company
    -Effective strategic vision
    -Company places high importance on the well-being of its (full-time) employees
    -Mostly pleasant and capable coworkers

Cons

For the company as a whole:

You have to be very out-going and self-promoting to advance or get onto projects you desire. Introverts and humble people have no chance of advancing here.

For internships:

Interns are given NO direction at NI and projects afford few opportunities to make yourself visible or showcase your skills. You have to figure out what your boss wants as you work on the project, which often means redoing days worth of work when your boss changes his/her mind about what kinds of formatting and content he/she wants in your reports. You do have to meet strict deadlines despite not coming to the office every day, so last-minute changes can be stressful and I often found myself in the office for 10 or more hours on the days that I worked. Although the internship is advertised as a 20 hour per week position, I averaged 30 or more hours per week due to these last-minute changes. Interns are often given equipment that does not work, a common experience with both internships I had at NI. I had a computer that broke nearly every day, and despite repeated requests and multiple in-person visits to IT services, was denied any help to fix the machine or the ability to get a new computer due to lack of "approval." I asked my boss for help in expediting "approval," but it was pushed by the wayside for months. She finally obtained a functional computer for me 2 weeks before the end of my term. The only way I got any work done during both internships was by supplying my own laptop. If I had not done this, I would have been completely unable to work.

Pay for NI interns ($10/hr, no benefits) is terrible, especially considering the size of the company. Small companies hiring interns often pay similarly, but international companies like NI generally pay much more. I interned for another similarly-sized company and was paid $2900/month + fully-furnished luxury apartment with utilities. Many of my friends who interned for equally large companies enjoyed this same high level of compensation. Pay is not negotiable for NI interns. I only accepted the job because I heard NI was a great place to work full-time and interns were often hired after graduation. I was lucky that I was doing well enough financially that I could afford to intern at NI despite very low comparative pay.

NI tells interns that if they return for additional internships they will get to choose the department in which they will work for the next term. This is untrue. I was one of approximately 3 returning interns within the marketing division and all of my 5 requested areas for continuing my internship were given to newly-hired interns. My performance reviews were very good, so I doubt my requests were denied due to poor performance.

Interns pursuing bachelor's degrees are hired alongside interns pursuing graduate degrees, and after the internships are complete, the undergraduates compete with the graduates for similar jobs and similar pay. If you are an undergraduate, this means you can forget the prospect of a full-time job at the end of your internship even if your work is good and you are qualified for the position.

Although NI is a terrible place to intern, I think the company is very kind to its full-timers, who enjoy great benefits, generous work/life balance, ample opportunity for advancement, (mostly) capable colleagues, and interesting, dynamic work. I would consider taking a full-time job with NI despite the terrible internship experience.

Advice to Management

-Monitor the internship program more closely and give clear objectives and performance measures to interns and their managers
    -View the internship program as a marketing tool for obtaining future employees rather than simply a source of cheap labor, and make sure the compensation you offer to interns is comparable to compensation they would receive from a company of similar size
    -Make an effort to make a good first impression on interns, and ensure lower-level managers understand how to create a positive internship experience
    -Please don't overlook the basic needs of interns (especially in terms of IT and janitorial services).
    -Overall structure, strategy, and culture of company are the best I've seen in any company in which I have worked (4 to date), and if interns are treated in a manner consistent with company strategy and culture, NI could easily have an exceptional internship program.

2. "Growing pains"

Current Employee - Staff Test Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Test Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

People are willing and very capable to get the job done. Lots of collective technical knowledge to increase your skills, people desire to help each other.

Cons

Disorganized in terms of processes. Performance review is lacking clarity and objectivity. It can be hard to maintain work-family balance, as the projects are generally understaffed.

Advice to Management

Streamline purchasing processes so that it´s easier for the engineers and designers to acquire the parts, supplies and components that they need without having to go through the lengthy approval chain, and budget code maze.