National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Beware: National MS Society's Gateway Area Chapter is a VERY BAD place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for National Multiple Sclerosis Society

"Beware: National MS Society's Gateway Area Chapter is a VERY BAD place to work."

Former Employee - Sorry--Afraid of Reprisal in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Sorry--Afraid of Reprisal in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Your work is for a good cause; promoting education and research on MS.

Cons

As a nonprofit, salaries are terribly low. Chapters operate independendently, and there is nothing to stop a bad chapter boss. I worked at the Gateway Area Chapter, where the turnover was somewhere around 80 percent per year. We all had to work at events, and were treated like slaves, working from 3am until midnight and allowed to sleep for only 3-4 hours before getting up to to it all again. Wjhen I asked for learning opportunities I was told flat out that it wasn't about me, and was then given an impossible assignment as punishment.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to monitor the chapters and offer employees the opportunity to provide anonymous feedback. Once they get the feedback, they need to act on it.

Other Employee Reviews for National Multiple Sclerosis Society

1. "Intern"

Pros

Great company to work for!

Cons

Low pay or no pay at all

"I found the MS Society a very challenging place to work"

I worked at National Multiple Sclerosis Society full-time

Pros

The mission of the organization to help people living with MS and to further research to find treatments and cures is a great thing to work for. The Bike MS signature event is wonderful campaign for the participants and great to work on.

Cons

The organization is not very supportive. There is a lack of standardized training to get new employees up to speed. There is an atmosphere of pressure and blame instead of collaboration and progress. Over the time that I worked there I saw the rich array of support services for people living with MS who really need the support diminish in favor of more research. This is a very regressive policy. I believe we shouldn't have increased research by decreasing services but by finding new revenue and advocating for more government and corporate grants and partnerships.

Advice to Management

Work with the talented people working there to find solutions and move the work forward instead of forcing solutions top down without consulting the people in the field.