National Trust for Historic Preservation - I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for National Trust for Historic Preservation

"I've worked at the National Trust for 10+ years and think it's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great mission - saving historic places, revitalizing older neighborhoods
- Not just museums or estate properties as some people might assume, but regular places, like Joe Frazier's gym in Philadelphia
 - Lots of dedicated people. I'm not even a preservationist by training, but have stayed so long because it's a very engaging organization and I feel like working here helps make a positive impact on communities.
 - Educational work environment. Regular staff exchanges on preservation or workplace related topics.
- Good location about 6-8 min from Foggy Bottom metro, and nice offices. Still getting settled into our new space at the Watergate complex. I didn't know if I would like the open floor plan, but it's actually turned out to be a nice change - more opportunities to interact casually with co-workers, as well as more spaces to just plop down and brainstorm with someone on a project. Great new break room space we didn't have before (with free coffee and sodas!) and an adjoining casual, common work area.

Cons

We did go through a lot of changes over the past couple years. Like a lot of organizations, some cut backs in response to the down economy, but I think they were necessary and handled thoughtfully. Also, some strategic changes under our new president. But that's also common after having had one CEO for 17+ years. Again, I think they were well thought out and have been positive for the organization - more streamlined, more focused on a smaller number of more high profile projects. While some people didn't like the changes, many are the same people who also complained for years that we were stretched too thin on all the different initiatives that had cropped up over the years without thought to their sustainability. While the staff changes have been hard, I think over all it's a better place to work now.

Advice to Management

I think our CEO does a good job of informing staff, offering opportunities for input (she's increased the number of All Staff meetings, making them more interesting, engaging and informative, and implemented a new in-house e-newsletter). I've seen more opportunities to express viewpoints and weigh in on topics. Keep moving in that direction, and encourage other levels of management in that practice as well.

Other Employee Reviews for National Trust for Historic Preservation

1. "Good place to work. Top management tries hard to succeed."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Good work environment. Staff is friendly, and for the most part very motivated to succeed. Pay is good for the job, and benefits are very good. Changes at the top have been a positive for the organization on the whole, despite the always reluctance for change. Selling the building has breathed new financial resources for the organization for the future.

Cons

Regular staff not involved with decisions affecting them from time to time. In particular, hiring of new staff they may report to, or work with.

Advice to Management

Involve lower level staff as a matter of policy and not as an afterthought.

2. "Chalenging financial environment"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Trust for Historic Preservation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and close to the metro.

Cons

Managements is generaly aloof or clueless.

Advice to Management

Get a clue about what's going on. Get an IT manager who is not a dofus.