National Urban League - Great population, Decent organization, Horrible foundation | Glassdoor

"Great population, Decent organization, Horrible foundation"

in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at National Urban League

Pros

The work we do in the community feels good and we are making a difference. A lot of employees here have great intentions.

Cons

The benefits are horrible and promotions are based on favoritism. The pay is about average of what you would expect from a smaller non profit, but raises are almost non existent. Communication leaves much to be desired. The foundation is extremely shaky. No direct deposit and limited quality professional development. No real HR department.

Advice to Management

Find better benefits. Truly listen to direct service staff. Get a strong HR department so that grievances can be addressed appropriately. Sometimes there is fear of retaliation if grievances go above certain managements' heads.

National Urban League2018-12-27

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Intern @ Washington D.C. Bureau"

I worked at National Urban League

Pros

This was a critical career journey and juncture for me in the midst of a trying time of the campaign trail that ended with unfavorable results. The value of quality leaders was stressed and the proper policies to guide urban communities was at the focus of my work and accessible through amazing mentors and co-workers that greeted interns as equals and valued your their insight along the way. I empowered and given... the opportunity to chart my own course. As long as I remained humble and actively engaged, my flexibility gave me more opportunities that I could have never imagined. If your so blessed with the opportunity be sure to reach back.

Cons

I realized this was but a taste of the breathe and depth of the work scope engaged by leaders in NUL. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to properly engage and be impactful, tho not impossible. Going viral takes the trigger. #EngageViral #NUL #Spongebob

Advice to Management

Keep building and empowering the future leaders of our urban cities. #DCBureau #Policy

National Urban League2019-04-09
  2. "Remain Flexible"

I have been working at National Urban League full-time for less than a year

Pros

Wonderful team and truly focused on educating the community!

Cons

Nonprofit financial woes are a serious issue.

National Urban League2019-04-07

Discover more reviews about National Urban League.