Nationwide - Good Place To Work | Glassdoor

"Good Place To Work"

Former Employee - Senior Casualty Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC
Former Employee - Senior Casualty Claims Adjuster in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Nationwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an amazing boss. Time off. Work Life Balance was good. Benefits were awesome except for the cost of health insurance. If you give blood you get a half day off to use how you want with a maximum of 2 days a year. Tuition reimbursment was great. I completed my AIC, AIS, and ANIS all with company money. Claims volume was reasonable. I worked with a great group of people. My manager empowered me to make decisions and stood behind my decisions.

Cons

They re-organized the North Claims claim offices and closed them all and has just one claim office in Raleigh, NC. I was given the chance to move to Raleigh but I could not make that move due to personal and family obligations. We all had lap tops and could work from home when it was good for the company.(i.e. due to bad weather and the claim reps couldn't not make it to work due to snow or ice on the roads). However, when we needed to work from home when it was good for us they said no. I could have kept my job if they would allow for telecommuting. Which our job was entirely on the phone so it was possible. However, they didn't want to allow that.

Advice to Management

Keep talented employess by allowing telecommuting for all claim reps.

Other Employee Reviews for Nationwide

1. "I've been there for 9 years, its a fair company to work for."

Current Employee - Underwriter in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great training courses, development opportunities and salary fits most positions!

Cons

Some positions are limited to development because of the job families it falls into. Some areas have been tainted by re-organizations within Nationwide, so the confidence of job security is a concern.

Advice to Management

To really take a look at each position and find out how to implement a development process, most people work to go up the ladder, if there are no steps, its hard to stay.

"Nationwide Sales Solutions- sales department in Des Moines is falling apart"

Current Employee - Multi-Line Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Multi-Line Sales Agent in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Nationwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Decent pay
    - they hire anyone that applies and can talk and type at same time (because of large turnover)
    - most co workers will help you and will listen to you and explain things about why things are the way they are

Cons

- No raises
    - It is not sales it is a call center
    - they do not leave you alone and expect you to be taking call after call after call and be on phone 90% of your shift ( if you sell like i did its hard to do because you have to note and follow up on all sales)
    - 1 manager and he is over worked and is a yes sir guy
    - ran by people above the manager that has never worked in a sales center enviorment and just bases changes on stats that they think will work
    - Agents have no say in anything
    - one day you have your job and next you slip up once on anything you are gone
    - breaks and lunches and even bathroom breaks are scheduled and you have to stick to your schedule
    - Everyone makes the same amount of base money... from just starting to senior agent... only way to make money is commison and if you dont get that pay is not that good
    - You get vacation time but VERY hard to use... the vacation calender fills up 3 or 4 months in advance and they alow for 2 people out of 150 people off each day so 14 hours available daily for almost 150 agents. So if you need a weekend off GOOD LUCK
    - If vacation calender is full and you need it off even 3 months in advance and cant get it off because the day is full you get occurences and 4 of those a year you get fired.
    - sales agents are blacklisted so you cant move up to a different position in nationwide if you are in sales unless you know someone

Advice to Management

- Quit hireing everyone off the street to fill seats. Agents that you hire are getting less and less sales oriented. If you want to hit sales goals keep the people that can sell and keep them happy instead of hireing to fill seats and most of those people cant sell.
    - listen to agents.. happy agents= sales