Navigant - Navigant Consulting provides career growth and experience in all areas of consulting. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Navigant

"Navigant Consulting provides career growth and experience in all areas of consulting."

Current Employee - Associate Director in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Associate Director in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Navigant Consulting provides a vast amount of opportunities that stretch across muliple disciplines providing employees with great growth potential.

Cons

Like all consulting firms, the working environment is rather volatile in terms of stability - so if you don't want last minute assignments or 50 hours of work at least, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Do a better job at communicating across all levels and practice areas on a regular basis. Be consistent across all practice areas.

Other Employee Reviews for Navigant

1. "Interesting work and great culture."

Pros

Great co-workers and interesting/varied work.

Cons

Very specialized work so I would expect that one would stay inside the consulting sphere when switching jobs. I'm fairly new so I don't really know of every opportunity after leaving.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in obtaining ongoing feedback as to what types of projects employees are interested in. Obviously management's ability to oblige is limited based on the current projects, but would still be nice to reassess.

2. "Navigant Consulting is a good place to work, and a good place to start a career, but it's not best-in-class."

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

The best reason to work for Navigant Consulting is to get a feel for the consulting world. For people starting a career, it's a great place to get a foot in the door. You'll learn about your industry and work with good people. This isn't like one of the Big 4 firms where everyone working here was a top student in college and lacking in social skills. We hire lots of young professionals who are not too aggressive. You won't find many Type A personalities here. Compensation is reasonable, and even college hires start off with plenty of vacation time.

Cons

It can be difficult to get ahead depending on your individual situation. Promotions and compensation are definitely metric-based... so if you aren't as busy as the guy sitting next to you -- which, if you are not a manager, is likely totally out of your control -- then you won't have as much of an opportunity to advance within the company. It can also be difficult to learn your industry if your managers are busy making sales pitches to potential clients or spending their time managing jobs and personal commitments. The culture at each office is quite different and some offices are closely knit, while some of the larger offices have very little culture at all. It seems at times like each group at my office is very "cliquey".

Advice to Management

For whatever reason, even though this company is filled with youth and great ideas, I constantly feel like we're an old company. We are just finally switching in 2009 to using Microsoft Outlook instead of Lotus Notes... why is this? It's a small issue but this is representative of an overall feeling of being left behind some of our competitors.