Navistar - I really enjoyed working for Navistar and the people I worked with. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Navistar

"I really enjoyed working for Navistar and the people I worked with."

Former Employee - Corporate Security in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Corporate Security in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and compensation package.

Cons

Over the years Navistar has become an unstable company for employment.

Other Employee Reviews for Navistar

"Poor communication"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of smart people and hard workers

Cons

Horrific communication from leadership to the rest of the company. The company is clearly having issues, and morale is very low, but leadership keeps preaching "we are moving boldly forward"

Advice to Management

I understand you can't divulge a great deal of information, for a variety of reasons, but the pep talks aren't working considering what we are facing. Please speak to us like the adults we all are and indicate what is really happening.

2. "Technical Honesty Is Wanting"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a very talented set of engineers and designers. It's engineering processes are sound and well developed. Several designers have proven to be extremely gifted.

Cons

Technical Leadership at the highest level has been wanting. Example: The 6.0 liter engine was known to be very problematic and required further development, but was pushed into production prematurely. The most senior technical leaders (VPs) lack sound engineering knowledge and experience. Most are political appointees. While having had a great technical history, things went down hill dramatically since the release of the 6.0 liter diesel. Those responsible for this and subsequent technical failures have moved on in the company, to other positions of authority, rather than having been dismissed. Politics overshadows sound judgment.

Advice to Management

Replace the current VP of Government Relations (EPA Debacle) and also the VP of Engineering responsible for the 6.0 liter. Demand honesty at all levels of the company, especially from those in top level management. The stock holders deserve far better.