Navistar - Easy Internship | Glassdoor

"Easy Internship"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL
Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

Cons

Many of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

Advice to Management

When I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

Other Employee Reviews for Navistar

1. "Great people, great environment, but a struggling company"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Lisle, IL
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I interned there in the summer of 2013 for the it department. The atmosphere was very welcoming and training was a breeze. For the first few weeks after training i didn't have anything to do, due to my lack of knowledge in .net. Though i was able to find projects for my manager to complete. Navistar is really a great company, but there was so many changes going on in management that there was no really clear path of where the company is heading

Cons

They should find ways to clear state the goals for incoming interns on what should be accomplished. There was a lot of wasted time and really lack of work. It may good to some people, but i felt wasn't really challenged or gained much experience for future work.

"Not Learning from Mistakes"

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lis, IL
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Lis, IL

I have been working at Navistar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus. Great coworkers. Plenty of engineering talent. Okay salary.

Cons

Terrible management. The company is struggling to recover from a disastrous engine strategy, and while most of THAT management has left, the new management isn't doing much better. Even with a "flattened" organization, they managed to make it even harder to fix known problems or implement improvements, but once management has made a bad decision, the marching orders will not change until it has exploded in their faces.

Advice to Management

Listen when someone in engineering tells you it's a bad idea. Stop chasing nickels and dimes and let the (talented) engineering staff launch new products to shake away the 2010 funk.

Most importantly, stop bleeding talent. Every week it seems that another knowledgeable coworker is leaving.