Navistar - Easy Internship | Glassdoor

"Easy Internship"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL
Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Lisle, IL

I worked at Navistar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice headquarters campus, generous salary and housing stipend given to interns. A lot of interesting, younger engineers work there due to Navistar's move to Lisle, IL a few years ago when a lot of older people decided not to move with.

Cons

Many of the interns either had very little to do or they had very involved projects. I first project was super easy excel drudgery but my boss treated it as if it were much more difficult for me and we had many unnecessary meetings -- I read the 4 hour work week at my desk in the time I had finished all of my work and was waiting on him. I should note that my second half of the internship was more involved and interesting. Oh, and they cut their intern program entirely in 2014

Advice to Management

When I was there it seemed like every one was focused on putting out fires much more than innovating. I noticed a few distinct types of people -- generic business types who were excited to be part of a company turn around, interesting young people who had been with the company a few years but were not in leadership roles, and old timers who seemed to do most of the work and were stressed out as a result. The company needs a vision to work towards that can excite the younger employees into doing something more than a typical project engineer.

Other Employee Reviews for Navistar

"Mostly good people with good intentions, but weighed down by bureacracy"

I worked at Navistar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits were not bad. Most of the people were friendly. There was a lot of effort at organizational level to support people.

Cons

The management structure and processes were not very efficient. As a result, many simple "no-brainer" decisions take much to long to happen. There was a switch to using external consulting companies to provide fundamental services. Management did not appear to listen to valid concerns from people about the challenges in making this switch - the resulting rollout was not very well executed.

2. "Chaotic environment"

Pros

Nice amenities, New programs to work on, Fair compensation package

Cons

Projects are often cancelled half-way through, Poor training, Behind in terms of technology