Neiman Marcus - it's very easy | Glassdoor

"it's very easy"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Department Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No overtime, doesn't require any specific knowledge. Easy work.

Cons

Lot's of physical tasks to do (merchandising the floor, mark downs, changing hangers, etc.) that do not need any knowledge and it spoils all the good feelings of being a manager. Occasionally boring. Working place is in the disgusting stockroom.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to new managers. Coaching, feedback on a regular basis are very important.

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Loved my job- hated the politics and glass ceiling"

Former Employee - Couture Sales in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Couture Sales in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Networking opportunities, learning the fashion industry from wholesale to retail, great international customer base, amazing opportunities if you really work the system, the discount 30/30

Cons

Unfortunately, no matter how hard you work, your efforts may not pay. It's always going to come down to politics. The catiest co-worker can be a total slacker and she will get promoted if she's in someone's pocket. It's very political. The floor is tough, but that's retail. Think devil wears Prada in a store among the employees and managers. Also, favoritism among managers can kill your sales. They can make or break a sale for you. Suck up is all I have to say!

Advice to Management

Support the ones who are obviously loyal and working hard. Notice the ones who are just there for the pay check and always asking for Saturdays and Sundays and holidays off-they will not help you when you really need them. It's not climbing the ladder that's wrong-it's the way you climb that matters. Do not underestimate the nice smart ones on the floor- they just have a different strategy. They don't have to carry knives in their pockets, they have brains and charm. The backstabbers will do it to you too. Be careful. Be more supportive and fair and give people a chance to prove you wrong. Listen and talk a little less, allow an open forum during meetings for staff to speak.

"The meanest company I've ever worded for"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The hrs and the Pay

Cons

They make sure you know every day that you are as good as your last sale...... The pulled us all in a room and told us if we do not make the numbers we will be let go,.... that would not be so bad but our store is so slow and our PR DEPT does not do much... She love to go to the parties..... All the People on the floor work so hard to bring people in and at the end of the day its not good enough for them....

Advice to Management

Do more... Stop making your sales people responsible for new traffic in the store...