Neiman Marcus - Smoke and Mirrors | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free iphone. good discounts on clothing.

Cons

management is disconnected and offers zero support to associates. the straight commission atmosphere welcomes horrific work environment. competition is unbearable: backstabbing, and dirty play. Additionally: most days ALL of the sales associates feel as if we are paying to do hard labor for neiman marcus, given that if you dont meet your numbers then you OWE the company the difference (and its taken straight out of your paycheck).

Advice to Management

BE THERE! In a commissions based environment that is supposedly focused on "wow"ing customer, then your associates will need help at times doing tasks that take attention away from selling. DON'T ACT AS IF YOU ARE ABOVE US! It's retail! NO JOB IS GLAMOUROUS IN RETAIL!

oh- and try to make the schedule before the day before you would like your employees to be at work. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WORK LIFE BALANCE! Our manager expects us to be willing to work 24/7 and also frequently tells us that we are all "disposable" and "replaceable". Talk about motivation to show up.

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

1. "Its Retail."

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice discounts, Better pay than most retail stores. The hours weren't too bad, Usually 9-6 or10-7. Loved my clients and some of the co workers here. Schedules given a month in advance.

Cons

Dog eat dog between older co workers and new employees. Managers were never to be found when needed. Since it is a higher end retail store some days you would be dead, on thoses days you were given a list of people to call to do over the phone orders. Could be very borning at times if you are someone who likes a more fast paced place of work. No room to advance.

Advice to Management

Get involded. Dont hide in your office all day. If one of your employees come to you with a problem dont talk about it to all your managment friends

"Only Work here part-time for the discount, Do not make this a career"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing Discount, Great vendor Relationships

Cons

Terrible management, No lateral movement or promotion from within, Awful commission only compensation were only about 2% of the employees make descent salaries (the 2% HR tells you about when they're interviewing)

Advice to Management

Encourage and develop the talented and extremely knowledgeable associates, stop looking outside of your own talent pool whenever a management role becomes available. Take a note from Nordstrom and realize that if you want to keep talented individuals a dead end, thankless sales job is not the way to do it