Neiman Marcus - Treat it as your own business and you will succeed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Treat it as your own business and you will succeed"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In control of how you want to run your business (for the most part, aside from micromanagement), it is nice to see the newest items/trends, contests to win NM money and/or product and I found it very satisfying to build trusting, long-term relationships with clients/some co-workers and some vendors.

Cons

The dept managers are under a huge amount of pressure from the merchandise managers, they are super stressed by the store managers and they are stressed by corporate. Some of the managers are really great...Others treat you like you are 10 years old. Even when some of the sales associates are twice their age.

Advice to Management

Please try to create a trusting environment in the department.

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Don't be fooled by the new and shiny exterior."

Former Employee - Optimum Support in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Optimum Support in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is very budget conscious; therefore, you never have to work overtime. Once in a while you get a great discount on merchandise.

Cons

Neiman's presents itself as a financially successful company. Truth is, I have never worked for a company as cheap as them. You get the feeling that any second the whole company will collapse.

"Good company with great benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – It is very easy to communicate with team members and management. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help each other out to get the task at hand done. Work with happy people with nice smiling faces.
     Discounts are great. Free iphone.

Cons

Cons – upper-middle management is very focused on numbers. Too many associates not enough customers.Could be very boring at times if you are someone who likes a more fast paced place of work. No room to advance. Our manager expects us to be willing to work 24/7 and also frequently tells us that we are all "disposable" and "replaceable". Talk about motivation to show up.

Advice to Management

Please appreciate your team.. Listen, contemplate and revise, sometimes there is another way. Don't treat your employees like they are five years old, give them real, constructive criticism to help build and groom each person - not make us feel as though we are 5 years old.