Neiman Marcus - Biggest disappointment of my career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Biggest disappointment of my career"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of leadership: upper management/executives are not concerned about developing, motivating, empowering and valuing their mid-level management (in my division, even the associates' bonus were higher than the mid-management). If you are innovative, committed and want to work for a company that cares, run from Neiman Marcus - they do not value employees and do not give you chance to grown - their "executive development program accepts 70 % of external candidates and only 30% of internal ones...blame it on "diversity"!
If you are a thinker and challenge initiatives or decisions, NM is not the company for you either - as they cannot lead, they prefer people that can execute without questioning anything.
If you are in retail and have the dream to work for Neiman Marcus (as many of us do...), consider it twice - it is likely to become a nightmare.

Advice to Management

You might want to review how your upper management/executives lead people - business is not only about numbers...without people you fail big.
You might want to question why change is so difficult in this company - or might want to challenge they 25+ years working for Neiman Marcus type of manager/executive that cannot understand the changes, the times or the new market needs and won't let innovation get to this old minded-obsolete company.
You might want to listen to employees that are committed and there to make a difference, that are questioning your practices and policies. You might want to look a little deeper into different divisions of this company and understand that all of them are equally important and should be valued.
Without that, in the first opportunity, your good employees will leave you for your competition. Good luck!

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

"not the best place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

amazing clothes and products and discounts but I spent all my money there

Cons

rude caty snotty staff, very competitive staff, upper management stand offish and nasty, to many staff to little customers can get boring, not seeing daylight being trapped in a department store all day, only get commission if you break your target and if you dont break your target then that negative gets carried over to next month so you end up in a big hole which you can never get out of and you get unfair targets and its unrealistic sales goals

Advice to Management

reward staff more

"Very Satisfied"

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, ideal place to meet great people.

Cons

too much micro-management, unwilling to be held accountable.

Advice to Management

Learn the skill of precise decision making.