Neiman Marcus - Good experiance | Glassdoor

"Good experiance"

Current Employee - Operation Support Tech in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Operation Support Tech in Irving, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Able to work from home.

Cons

no complaints about working at NM

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company."

Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Management- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

"NM is a GREAT place to work. The company strives to be the leading luxury retailer. Customer Service is a top priority"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longview, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a sense of teamwork among divisions. There is an on site cafe and the discount is very generous (30%). All new hires are teamed up with a trainer in the warehouse. Those who go above and beyond are recognized each month. All associates are offered 401 K, medical/dental, LTD, and paid time off. The environment is clean, air conditioned, and professional. The facility closes at 6 PM so all associates can still have a life.

Cons

It is a production environment (for the majority of associates in the warehouse). You must maintain productivity and quality standards to keep your job. Warehouse associates must stand on their feet all day.
    Associates may have to work on some Saturdays (typically 6-9 per year). There are not a lot of career growth opportunities unless you are willing to relocate to Dallas, TX.

Advice to Management

Talk to your associates EVERYDAY. They will work harder if you treat them as if they matter. Pay a competitive rate for all positions. Pay the associates with better production scores better than those who do the minimum to get by.