Neiman Marcus - Customer Care at Neimar Marcus Direct | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Customer Care at Neimar Marcus Direct"

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Irving, TX

Pros

Work from home associate here... That's the plus here. We have highly flexible hours to choose from, good pay, great conditions (I like MY dress code), fantastic computer system (which we personally own) and a fairly good system to link into, wonderful discounts on merchandise.

Cons

This is not just Neiman Marcus Sales. Customer Care Associates are also responsible for sales and problem resolution for many other companies. ie. Horchow, CUSP, and many designer web sites, plus email responses to inquiries, internet chat, and plain old paper orders by fax.
Scheduling system need Personal attention.. way to much use of computer scheduling. Computer programs for time sheets does not always work, and to many "adjustments" needed because system is not working Properly. Time sheet are tied to the phone, this is good, however sometime one just needs to "go dow the hall" for a couple of minutes.. I have NO problem not being paid for my extra bathroom breaks but employees are penalized on their performance because they might log in 2 minutes late from a 15 minute break or need to get away for a moment or two... (just don't pay us for that time, after all it is a time clock)... (There is no human interraction here... just computer keeping track).
Upselling requirements are understandable but selling requirement are currently just un-reasonable.. Sales associates are penalized for taking some time to "chat" a little... I do understand waisting time... but some customers like to have sales associates opinions and help finding items... however we are penalized for taking too much on the sales call... They seem to forget that the customer called us...I believe that all sales associates understand the need to up-sell, make more money for both company and our pay check, however, a good associate can tell when a customer just wants to get off the phone.
We have other associates that can and do "assist" us with problems that are highly complicated and need further eyes to have a look at.. This is a good thing, however, we are penalized for calling and asking for help too many times, and then when we make a mistake that could have been avoided by a simple phone call for help we get a "ding" on our monthly report.

Advice to Management

Balance, Balance, Balance... The marketplace is changing and has changed. When once there was only catalog sales we now must include the internet... but never forget the catalog people some who do no have a computer and never will have a computer...
We need much more training on the computer system other than our own trial and error when using it.
We need compassion and a re-work of sales requirements. We were hired at an hourly wage not as commissioned salespeople, these are two diferent breed of people and you cannot put them in the same boxes or attempt a box change and/or reidrection when the company changes direction.
Some people seem so overworked, over scheduled, or so afraid of the time clock they do not even give employees the "time of day", it gets down to what do you want and I have to move on there is no time, because of the clock, for interaction, and don't even think we can do it on breaks, we need that time to eat, calm down, and re-charge. You should bisit us someday and notice that we are all working, there is no chatter here, no friendships building, and little camaraderie just your worker bees.
See above....Cons

Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus

"Best compensation for the retail world"

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great discounts. Some-what easy going environment, depending on which store you work in. Always in the know about the latest trends and fashions. Compared to other retailers, the employees that work here take their jobs seriously - it's not just a job to pass the time, this is their career, which makes for a strong work environment. The pay is very generous.

Cons

It's very difficult to change positions, especially if you want to move up. You are always replaceable, and you have to drink the kool-aid. As a company, they make sometimes make stupid business decisions. Depending on what department you work in, you need to have thick skin.

Advice to Management

Your people work very hard. Reward them more often.

"Good for resume experience, that's about all."

Current Employee - Customer Care in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Irving, TX

Pros

30/30 days are good for X-mas shopping and cheap Ralph Lauren towels. Christmas Book celebrations are always fun (even though you only get 15 minutes to enjoy it). Reputable company to put down on your resume to get to better paying call centers.

Cons

You will get hired as 35-40 flex full time. You may get scheduled only 16 hours and sent home early every day and end up with 10 hours at the end of a week. Driving to work only to get sent home 1 hour later sucks. The pay is lower than most of the call centers around NMD. They pry into your every second you want off of work. Micromanage is the key word in this place. (I've seen someone get fired for going to the bathroom "too much.") Management shows HARDCORE favoritism to the tail-wagging sheep who fall in line, even if they suck at their job and are general jerks. Best way to move up here is to suck up and be fakefriendly to someone with a mediocre amt of power.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring everyone and their mom at Christmas time and instead focus on better training your existing employees and giving them more hours/overtime. More hours is the way to get happier, more competent workers. (Giving away expired samples of perfume and calenders in the middle of the year as "gifts" is NOT.)