Nelnet - Everything considered I'm happily employed at Nelnet | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nelnet

"Everything considered I'm happily employed at Nelnet"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

I've worked for Nelnet almost 8 years and this is what I've learned. Senior management has been very good at creating and maintaining new business. They've also been very good at managing the company's money when national legislation affected the company's bottom line. I care about that because it means layoffs aren't necessary and the company stays in business. I am able to balance my work and personal life and I take time off when I need it without any trouble.
I have had the pleasure of working for some of the best managers I've experienced in my 25+ year career.

Cons

While I've experienced very, very good first-tier managers, I've also had some not-so-good managers here at Nelnet. However, I've encountered bad managers in all the companies I've ever worked for so Nelnet isn't any different in that regard.

Advice to Management

Since first-tier managment is so crucial to whether or not someone enjoys their job, I would like to see Nelnet do more training or take more discretion in who they place as that first-tier manager or team lead. That person should understand the day-to-day operation and details that their employees experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Nelnet

"This was an okay job, would not recommend"

Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Aurora, CO

Pros

There is good pay, good hours, and good benefits. The training for the Advisor position was excellent.

Cons

There is no potential for growth and the customers who call in are nasy, rude, and entitled.

"awful environment"

Former Employee - Collector in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Collector in Lincoln, NE

Pros

it's a job and it at least pays above minimum wage if that's all you care about

Cons

very stressful 21st century factory work. you sit at a computer all day making calls to people and hounding them for money. 90% of them will either cuss you out or hang up. if you don't get a certain amount of money or resolves within a certain amount of time, you can get fired. management is very micromanaging and they or have a quality assurance team to monitor you. the training is useless and new hires are often thrown into situations they don't know how to handle. for $11.80/hr, it was not worth it.

Advice to Management

you want everyone to take their job seriously but face it, people get these jobs because they can't get a better job. i only worked there bc i was desperate for a job after graduation but luckily i got a better job eventually. i feel bad for the people who have no other career paths and are stuck at nelnet.