Nelnet - Managing Director | Glassdoor

"Managing Director"

Former Employee - Managing Director, Regional Sales in Portland, ME
Former Employee - Managing Director, Regional Sales in Portland, ME

I worked at Nelnet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nelnet is a young-minded company full of some of the brightest minds I've worked with. It had a supportive yet autonomous environment, and committed the resources necessary to meet our objectives.

Cons

I would include conservative management as an occasional drawback, but that conservative approach has kept them strong through trying times. I do think during my stretch there, they grew too quickly.

Advice to Management

Try to percolate ideas and innovation up through the ranks of managers and directors - there is a lot of talent in your field operations.

Other Employee Reviews for Nelnet

"Terrible. Absolutely horrible."

Former Employee - Student Load Advisor in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Student Load Advisor in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Nelnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were the best part of the job

Cons

Everything else that the job entailed was terrible.

Advice to Management

Get it together. The load placed on employees is insane and the numbers necessary to achieve satisfactory performance reviews are almost unattainable.

2. "Everything considered I'm happily employed at Nelnet"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

Pros

I've worked for Nelnet almost 8 years and this is what I've learned. Senior management has been very good at creating and maintaining new business. They've also been very good at managing the company's money when national legislation affected the company's bottom line. I care about that because it means layoffs aren't necessary and the company stays in business. I am able to balance my work and personal life and I take time off when I need it without any trouble.
    I have had the pleasure of working for some of the best managers I've experienced in my 25+ year career.

Cons

While I've experienced very, very good first-tier managers, I've also had some not-so-good managers here at Nelnet. However, I've encountered bad managers in all the companies I've ever worked for so Nelnet isn't any different in that regard.

Advice to Management

Since first-tier managment is so crucial to whether or not someone enjoys their job, I would like to see Nelnet do more training or take more discretion in who they place as that first-tier manager or team lead. That person should understand the day-to-day operation and details that their employees experience.