Nelnet - try to hold out for a better job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nelnet

"try to hold out for a better job"

Former Employee - DM Collector in Lincoln, NE
Former Employee - DM Collector in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Nelnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Camaraderie among entry level collectors/customer service reps
Gain much knowledge about federal student loans
The ability to reach out and help someone understand and manage their loans

Cons

Micro-managed
High stress environment
Lack of upward mobility
CEOs not in touch with employees on the front lines.

As a new-hire, my training class was pushed out a full week early, which made going on the phones that more stress-inducing. We are told to ignore what the customer is saying and demand payment as least four times, and that assistance such as deferments and forbearance are given at the discretion of agent. People are generally rude and/or confused about their benefits- very little is done to educate them early on about what their student loan actually entails. I worked both in default management and enrollment processing, and there needs to be some cross-training as ep and dm are often confused about why the other does what it does. The extreme intervention team that attempts to save severely delinquent loans only concerns themselves with loans that come from the department of education, because of the juicy govt contract.

Your personal background in regards to education doesn't make much of a difference. I was assigned under a supervisor that was hired 1 month after I was, and he had no experience with loans, and would want his team to rake in all the money but hadn't actually gone on the phones himself. Nice guy, but sitting with someone for an hour or two listening to phone calls doesn't make you an expert.

Also if hired for DM, you have a specific amount of payments and resolves and if you don't make those, you can get your ass in a trap fast. Often times, we were expected to dial out manually and this made resolving or asking for payment very difficult. We were also expected to catch overflow from the customer service reps, who deal with anything not delinquent up to 30 days past due. Even if you take a payment and/or resolve one of these accounts it is not factored into your commission or payment to resolve ratio.As there are many people dialing out to delinquent borrowers the managers and sups are happy when the a.s.a is three minutes or under.

tl:dr

For the whole time I worked there, I pretty much went to bed hoping I wouldn't wake up the next morning.

Advice to Management

Find a way to make a miserable job better. Taking away the ability to read, knit, draw, or find something else to do besides contemplating strangling yourself with your headset's cord was a real disservice. The only good thing about the all company meeting is the fact that we got out of taking calls for awhile.

Other Employee Reviews for Nelnet

1. "great company"

Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Loan Advisor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Nelnet full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was fun to work for Nelnet. The company provides great training. The environment is competitive, but it's fun. Pay is very good at times. The management is fare and supportive. There are opportunities for advancement which is awesome.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative

"Suck suck Suck.. most dishonest employer"

Former Employee - Analytics Manager in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Analytics Manager in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Nelnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO... i absolutely loved having 4 weeks off to start off with.. they also provided good stock option for my role

Cons

They don't care about the employee and upper management knows how to take advantage of employees and does it very well.

During my tenure the layoffs were planned and for me personally they lied and moved up all my deadlines. Never worked for such dishonest company and people.

Note: I worked for Peterson's division.. the CUnet folks were great which is the group i was initially hired for.

Advice to Management

STart caring about your employees.