NeoGenomics - Gender bias is the norm | Glassdoor

"Gender bias is the norm"

Current Employee - Healthcare in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at NeoGenomics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The employees are dedicated their work and the company is growing

Cons

Praise to the brave sister who wrote the review "female will not go far". Everything she said is true. It is the everyday life of many women who work at Neogenomics. #MeToo Women are systematically undervalued at the company. There are not many women in the upper tiers or middle management. The few women that do get promoted have men constantly undermining their authority. If an opening or new position is... created, it is usually filled quickly by a man without the job getting posted. But if the best person for the job is a woman, and everyone agrees the woman is best person for the job, the job gets posted and the woman has to apply for the job and get interviewed like every other stranger off the street. In circumstances where a man might be considered “assertive, confident, passionate, proactive”, a woman will be labeled as “aggressive, emotional, irrational”. Gendered language is consistently used to keep women in their place and to encourage them to be “more lady-like” or submissive. It is easier to climb over a submissive woman. Men make a career at Neogenomics of taking credit for women’s work. Why? Because they can! The company makes it so easy for them. No one ever seems to call them out. Part of the problem with unconscious gender bias - it's unconscious. People assume that once you reach a certain level of education in a scientific field that there will be "intellectual objectivity". That they are above it. That they are blind to gender. But I have heard women at Neogenomics with MD's and PhD's complaining that their bosses treat them like secretaries. So what hope is there for the rest of us. I have no faith that anyone at Neogenomics will address this problem without blaming the victim or over-reacting. Hey guys, don't get emotional.

Advice to Management

The first step to change is admitting you have a problem

NeoGenomics2019-09-11

NeoGenomics Response

September 13, 2019Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are disheartened to hear about your experiences at NeoGenomics. We deeply value our employees and we are committed to fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our core value of integrity includes that we are professional and honest in our relationships and treat one another with fairness and respect. Neo takes any and all claims of “bias” seriously and we would encourage you to reach out to the HR department. We want to address your concerns immediately.

1. "People matter"

Current Contractor - Pathologist in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at NeoGenomics for less than a year

Pros

This company lives its stated values. It’s growing for good reasons: people need these advanced medical services, and excellent people want to work where we have resources to do our jobs excellently.

Cons

No significant cons at present.

Advice to Management

Keep managing the “growing pains” with the honesty and integrity you have continually shown.

NeoGenomics2019-09-06
  2. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at NeoGenomics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Advancement friendly opportunities contacts training programs

Cons

Company growing fast can lead to issues

Advice to Management

Have your 1 on 1s

NeoGenomics2019-10-09

Discover more reviews about NeoGenomics.