Nerdery - Problems have been piling up | Glassdoor

"Problems have been piling up"

I have been working at Nerdery full-time

Pros

-Opportunity to work with really smart and wonderful people -Being around so many smart people means you learn a lot, and fast -Having dogs at work is great for morale

Cons

-A few bad apples are beginning to spoil the bunch in various departments around the company -Management has been hiring outside leaders that are poor culture fits, pushing the company further into a corporatey depression -The company's vision is to be the "best place in the world for nerds to work" but management doesn't genuinely care about employee well-being -Pay is below average across the board, and with... recent budget cuts, it's gotten even worse

Nerdery2015-05-15

May 24, 2015President

This is Tom O’Neill. The only thing our company sells is access to smart people like you, but this isn’t the only reason I care about your well-being. Nurturing a culture as rich as ours is important work, and I don’t see everything - please help me see it. And while most of our leaders have risen from within our ranks and grown into their leadership positions, I hope you’ll join me in remaining open to the perspectives and ideas of new leaders we bring onboard. On wages and benefits, we actively assess the market to remain competitive – I don’t know who you are, but I understand your worth to our company. Glad to discuss any of this with you.

"Fantastic people and direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Nerdery full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is finally on the right track after lots of changes over the last several years. Yes, people have left, but the people that remain are awesome, and I'm amazed at the kind of talent that we've been able to attract to help us continue to evolve. I'm really excited about the direction and where we are headed!

Cons

There is still some cultural work to be done in getting people focused on the right things (less about us, more about our great work and great clients).

Advice to Management

Continue to keep us all focused on doing great work, and the rest will take care of itself.

Nerdery2019-02-27

March 8, 2019NA

This is Adrian Slobin. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and I agree that the people and level of talent here is one of the best part of the job, hands down. You’re right that we have some work to do in terms of culture but I’m excited to see where our new vision statement takes us in 2019 — let’s find time to chat if you have ideas for ways we can continue to bring it to life.

"Not the same company."

Former Employee - Nerd

I worked at Nerdery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Nerdery started their growth with a business model of working with agencies. They focused on agencies that didn't have the in-house talent to build out the website part of rebranding or marketing initiatives. Somewhere along the way, mobile apps and other services became part of the offerings, but websites were always the bread and butter. They figured out they could make more money by helping companies do... "digital transformation". Hired a new CEO and tried to turn on a dime to go after relatively huge clients. As a result, the business model is almost completely changed. There's much less website work. The remaining work is also different, so there's turnover/layoffs. The sales cycle takes longer. Not doing smaller projects means there's less ability to simply get the foot in the door and eventually scale up to large transformation projects. There is potential here for the company to make money. No idea what it's going to be like for developers. Biggest pro for the company is work/life balance. This hasn't changed - if you make sure your work is taken care of, you have flexibility (time off or work from home) to do what you need .

Cons

The high point of the Nerdery was always the people. Passionate developers that care about their work. This is becoming less and less true. Some people are being let go. Others are leaving because they don't feel as secure or engaged. No idea how much this will continue. I've seen people laid off that I consider to be top notch, first class nerds. The sales people I've talked to have been really alienated as well.... There seems to be less opportunity for real engagement with the work. Bottlecap - the Friday end of week party used to be an opportunity for socializing. It helped knit the company's culture. Now it's been moved to noon, and there's less socializing.

Advice to Management

You've burned a lot of bridges. I hope you figure out the sales cycle and preserve the company. Not sure how you can keep the high quality of Nerds we had in the past. Good luck with that, no sarcasm intended. Keep communicating and do your best to allow people to take pride in their work. With these larger projects there's going to be more of a tendency for people to feel like parts of a machine instead of... valued individual contributors. Watch out, since people will leave because of that. You've pretty much shown you don't value Nerdery culture, apart from how it directly affects the bottom line. Mistake. Hope you start taking the sense of community seriously again.

Nerdery2019-07-16

July 23, 2019CEO

Thank you for spending more than five years of your career here and for sharing your insights with us. You are absolutely right that our business model has shifted away from primarily supporting agencies and creating marketing sites towards long-term partnerships with our clients who are facing a wide range of digital challenges. The primary reason for continuing to evolve our business model is that we are an organization that was founded on the premise of being a part of the changing technology landscape, which allows for a dynamic career opportunities for our people and for Nerdery to remain relevant in the market. Whether or not you agree, we believe the work that Nerdery was doing 5 years ago is increasingly commoditized, which means a limited market for us and limited advancement opportunities for our people. Regarding the Bottlecap knowledge-sharing and social events, we shifted the events to take place at noon on Fridays vs. 4 p.m. so that more Nerds could participate. In fact, I’ve heard a lot of positive feedback about the change and the higher attendance is also great validation. While we have had some folks leave over the last few years, I’m really proud of the strong team that we have as well as our recent hires. They continually push us to be a better Nerdery — internally as a team and as we serve our clients.

Discover more reviews about Nerdery.