Nestlé USA - There are two faces to Nestle, be sure you know which one you're working for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Nestlé USA

"There are two faces to Nestle, be sure you know which one you're working for"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Glendale, CA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Glendale, CA

I worked at Nestlé USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong brand and recognizability, well developed systems and procedures, strong training and employee development opportunities, generous charitable giving practices, substantial giveaways and contests for employees, strong workplace wellness program for employees

Cons

Nestle's Community Affairs department puts a good face on the company, making it seem like a great place to work with great intentions. It's a very different story when you're actually working there. Politics reign supreme and it's the epitome of the Old Boy's Network. You can be management as long as you are White or--if non-White--act as White as you possibly can. Diversity is a joke. The result is the lack of true innovation and true understanding of what makes diverse consumers tick.

One of the underlying problems is that many of the managers are focused on climbing the ladder but not on personal development. There was definitely a culture of passing off blame to others, toeing the line and never challenging problems or bad business decisions, and never being the one to stick your neck out for a good risk. Managers are so focused on trying be around long enough to retire at Nestle that they don't forward the business. The result is that politics becomes the primary barrier to innovating the business. Innovation is challenged if not downright killed, and groupthink and "yes men" are the standard.

There are plenty of materials about appreciating the employee and developing managers to be coaches, but it's all lip service. I only found a small handful of people that I could actually respect or admire for the way they conducted themselves and their intentions. The bulk of managers whom I worked with didn't actually live the values of integrity, service, or altruism. Think about how it's reflected in their compensation practices: employees are paid less than market value and pretty much every employee who leaves for another employer gets an average of 7 to 10% raise even when making a lateral move. By the way, it's insulting to have a manager "coach" you or "correct" you in a meeting (with the wrong information!) on something where you're the subject matter expert.

It's a company characterized by nepotism, self-serving managers, and insular thinking. But don't worry, everyone there is "nice." The niceness is so that no one gets offended--because in the end, you can't say what you really think.

Advice to Management

Focus on changing the corporate culture to be one of accountability and liberty to express ideas, but do this through example, not just structured programs. Paul Grimwood actually has the right idea about shaking up "standard Nestle practices." Follow his lead but also caution him to remember that employees are smart, fully-functioning people, not drones or mindless sheep.

Other Employee Reviews for Nestlé USA

"I've had a great experience at Nestle !"

Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Maintenance Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nestlé USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I was treated great. The people I work with really made the experience ! I was given a lot of room to grow and I was encouraged to try new roles and take on different challenges.

Cons

I wish they had better health care. I was expecting something better from such an Industry leading company. They need better computer technical support and a better, more organized computer operating system.

Advice to Management

Stop swamping your people with process and paperwork, and get organized in the IT department. Trying to get anything done quickly in your computer system is very time consuming.

2. "Nestle WW is very successful but from Dreyer's perspective it is a challenge to fits in"

Former Employee - Sales and Operation Support in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Sales and Operation Support in Oakland, CA

I worked at Nestlé USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met great colleagues, the team was supportive. The could not complaint of the compensation of the time.

Cons

Dreyer's slowly rolled under Nestle management scaling back staff and resources in their Oakland offices. The Dreyer's business model didn't necessarily fits perfectly within the Nestle Co so it was little challenging to match respective expectations.

Advice to Management

A more fair integration