NetApp - Mixed | Glassdoor

"Mixed"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Netapp is a great company to work for. Awesome perks and the management is very approachable.

Cons

Career path is significantly difficult. Promotions are very hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Consider promoting employees based on their talent, not solely based on how loud they can talk.

Other Employee Reviews for NetApp

"Decent place to work but needs more structure"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Internship program gave interns access to higher-management, such as speeches by executive managers where they talk about themselves and allow the interns in the audience to ask questions about them
    - Relative ease of access to talking with people across all levels of the hierarchy instead of just being limited to one's manager
    - Intern Showcase - in a very science-fair format organized by the university recruiters, interns present what they did over the summer. If you actually did something of value, then this would be no problem; if not, then you'd have to get real creative with making it seem like you actually did something useful.
    - Relaxed environment -- can be a pro or a con, depending on how you look at it, but I put it under pros to balance the number of pros versus cons

Cons

- Political environment
    - Too much "fat" in the company
    - Internship program needs to be better supported; many interns were getting paid for contributing really nothing of value to the company
    - A lot (not saying ALL) of employment comes through referrals, so you'd really only have a chance of getting in if you already have connections here

Advice to Management

How can you actually get anything of value done when you're in meetings all the time? Stop trying to keep yourself busy by going to meetings and actually get things done instead of "delegating" them all the time.

Also, support the internship program better and actually give the kids something of value to do and learn instead of just keeping them busy.

"Intern at NetApp"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for sure! NetApp treats it's interns VERY well. I was there summer of 2012 and there were many benefits. Examples: Weekly 1 hour speaker events where interns hear the company's executives tell us about their life and give us advice (with catered free lunch!), a full day of fun doing a team building activity in SF, a BBQ mid summer, volunteering at Family Fun Day, Health Fair, ice cream socials, and charitable causes like helping to raise money for Second Food Bank by serving lunch with executives and creating emergency relief bags for the Red cross, and plus we got to participate in company wide beer bashes. Oh yeah, and the main cafe is excellent with plenty of international foods and a gym in the next building over if you need it :). Overall, I had a really good experience and would recommend.

Cons

Did not offer an internship extension and had almost no new grad positions that fit my skill set