NetApp - Great place to work, just going through a little rough patch | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

"Great place to work, just going through a little rough patch"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive SE management team who are genuinely interested in hiring quality people and developing talent.
Very liberal work-home life balance - work from home at your own discretion when not required for face-to-face meetings. Doctors, Dentist appointments etc come out of work time with no questions asked.
Every company has some bad eggs, but at NetApp the people are of a generally high calibre, a pleasure to work with and you can rely upon them. This is something I've really struggled to find elsewhere.
Expenses are very liberal with SEs like me actively encouraged to entertain customers / partners to build our own relationships in social environments.
Lots of opportunities for progression and active participation in anything you find that doesn't fall under the remit of your day job.

Cons

There has been a higher than normal level of attrition in the past 12-24 months with several long standing employees leaving. Reasons for this vary with no common theme. Some cite the change of NetApp from a small company to a big one with the influx of too much bureaucracy and process. I personally think this just brings a different type of challenge and it might mean we need different types of people to overcome it.
Financial packages are generally not quite as high as you probably could get elsewhere if you are a high achiever.
SE management is currently in a state of transition and trying to figure out what it wants to be. There is some frustration in the business about the slow reactions of this management team and the fact that they are all people managers rather than technical leaders.
There is a major product transition going on at NetApp as we take customers from 7-mode to Clustered Data ONTAP and it is creating a lot of pain for both customers and field sales. The corporate message is that the destination is worth the journey and if I put my hand on my heart I think it is, but it still makes it stressful sometimes when you're the one having to make that journey day in day out.

Advice to Management

To the SE management team, make sure we continue to hire only the best people. The standard of individual we bring in is the base from which we build all our differentiation. Everyone coming in needs to continue to be exceptional.
To the wider organisation, as we grow it's important to make sure that internal processes and tools take into account the views of the field. Some areas of the business are better than others at this but in too many cases there are people in the field getting frustrated because they work with tools / processes that they feel don't support the way they need to work. As we grow this becomes harder and harder but it's paramount that we continue to do this.

Other Employee Reviews for NetApp

1. "A good place to work for indeed but not among the best"

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

what makes Netapp different from others is its culture. The work environment is very conducive. Peers as well as managers are very co-operative.

Cons

Doesn't get to work on any cutting edge technology. As the company has increased manifolds in past 5-6 years, the standard of facilities has decreased. Compensation is not as competitive as used to be. High attrition rate has been observed because of bad policies. Not enough career growth rate in terms of technical expertise.

Advice to Management

Instead of making goals inadvertently, why not focus on the quality and compensation.

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and supportive management. Good global exposure and travel opportunities.

Cons

US centric management. Pay raise not so satisfactory. Company growth and merger talks