NetApp - Great company, great product, strong leadership, lots of opportunities. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

"Great company, great product, strong leadership, lots of opportunities."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have enjoyed working at NetApp for a lot of reasons:
- We have a vibrant culture with a lot of good people that work there
- Very good pay.
- Continuous growth. Not only is the data storage market continuing to grow, we are continuing to grow our share of the market.

Cons

Not a lot of downsides. In my nearly 8 years at the company, my career has only been limited by my lack of vision. When I have been driven to find opportunities, I have found them.
As with all companies, there are good managers to work for, and some not as good. I have been able to work for both at NetApp, and now that I am in management, am recognizing many areas that I need to work on to be more effective as a manager and leader. All in all, I have had a great experience at NetApp, and hope to continue to have a great experience here.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on satisfied customers and satisfied employees, while developing strong products, and many other aspects of the business will work out.

Other Employee Reviews for NetApp

1. "Decent company to work for."

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, high quality talent

Cons

Getting promoted at least in marketing is difficult, mgmt seems to prefer to hire from outside, not much of a career path

Advice to Management

Cultivate and grow your people.

"Incredible co-workers, Horrid Management. Company leaders have derailed the advertised culture."

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible co-workers that are highly intelligent, sharp, and good people by nature.

Cons

Management cripples employees, has their own individual agenda that in turn leads to chaos, a lot of wasted cycles, and a highly political environment. Being thrown under the bus is such a common occurrence, one might think their desk is on the 405 at rush hour in LA. Two years prior to my employment, sales reps averaged 200% of goal. The two years of my employment, sales reps averaged 70% of goal. The path they are headed on is not one that is righting the ship.

Contractors are treated as second class. Beer bashes and the fact that the company serves beer on Friday's is used as propaganda to encourage contractors into filling out favorable employment surveys that are used to attract great talent that will quickly be turned over. For some reason, these contractors are hired in large numbers just before employment surveys are sent out by Forbes, GPTW, etc.

On the beer note, it is not uncommon for a manager to selectively wait a few weeks for an employee to attend a "beer bash". Once the manager sees an employees has had a beer, management has been known to slide a yearly review in front of them without any prior notice that the yearly review will occur with the goal of procuring a rubber stamp approval. It might just be me, but I thought yearly reviews should be scheduled and not be conducted when an employee has had a beer that was encouraged and paid for by management.

Advice to Management

Increase accountability, address the widely publicized lackluster middle management, stop hiring a large number of contractors a few weeks before all the employment surveys are distributed to pad the results.

Employees do not appreciate working 60+ hours, being ridden by management, only to get no where. Particularly when colleagues in their vicinity spend the day playing solitaire, Farmville, and watching videos on YouTube, couldn't tell you a thing about their actual duties or the companies technology, then receive awards and praise.