Netflix - Excellent work environment | Glassdoor

"Excellent work environment"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at Netflix is the people. I've worked at both Microsoft and Amazon before coming to Netflix, and the people at Netflix are of a higher quality. Each person seems to be very good at what they do, and I feel like I can learn from them. I never realized before what a joy it is to work with great people. Other great things about Netflix are high salary and free meals.

Cons

There isn't much of a career path. If you want to be a manager or director, you might not have much success at Netflix. I view Netflix as a place where people come to work during the day and then go home to their families at night.

Advice to Management

Make the stock price go back up!

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Netflix was a good place to work."

Former Employee - Instant Watch Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Instant Watch Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was excellent. All of the tools were available to do the job that needed to be done.

Cons

Many customers did not understand how to use Instant View, and it was often difficult to explain.

"Sword of Damocles"

Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great physical work environment in Los Gatos
    - great co workers: highly motivated, intelligent, impressive experiences. Netflix hires people at the peak of their games
    - at the time (2007-2010), it was an exciting time of growth in the online streaming space, with consistent growth in the DVD space; fun to be on the cutting edge, and high growth.
    - great compensation; employees are well paid

Cons

- there is a constant sword of damocles (i.e. the threat of removal) hanging over your head. even when you think you are doing well, you can be released unexpectedly, at a moment's notice. (this results in a culture of fear)
    - there is no career path; Netflix hires you to perform a job, and once that job is over, it's easier for them to let you go rather than retrain or relocate you.
    - this is not the place to be if you want work/life balance; not family friendly

Advice to Management

- missteps from a year ago (i.e. 2011 - Qwikster) have caused a loss of confidence in management
    - there are still lots of people in the US that want to rent DVDs; much better selection, and much better accessibility. It feel like Netflix is now content to ignore them and move on. What happened to the great customer service that built the brand?