Netflix - Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

"Nice while it lasted, not everything it is cut out to be."

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch, brand that people are aware of.

Cons

Management overall is quite bad. Most people get promoted to the role based on seniority, not on actual ability to lead and mentor others.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro"

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

Cons

How about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Advice to Management

Reed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

"Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing"

Pros

Relative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

Cons

Since many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

Advice to Management

You've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.