Netflix - Love the company, Hate working for it! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

"Love the company, Hate working for it!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

The pay, and the perks, ie. free netflix!

Cons

Terrible management! Very high schoolish. It is not how good you can do your job, its how good you are with your supervisor. Actual comment from a supervisor when asked to come in a couple minutes late for a school exam was "you need to think about what is important to you right now, school or your job." Supervisors are very self absorbed and if you are not all about them then you will be fired and off their team.

Advice to Management

Training program is very good. They let you know what is expected of you and how to get there. Unfortunately the supervisors do not match up with the training. The training was very thorough and we went through a lot. I was very dissapointed when I got out and noticed that each sup had their own way and went a total different direction then training. We wer given examples of what not to do and you would see the supervisor doing it constantly. We were given specific verbage that we could use in certain circumstances and the supervisor will let you know how terrible you are for using that verbaige and that is not the netflix way! very contridictive. Managers only go by what their supervisors say about you so if your supervisor doesnt like you they have all the power to get rid of you. Very high turn over rate! I personally saw at least 30 people fired during the short time I was there. Even though I read the comments about get in and get out before getting canned, I went into the job thinking that would never happen! I did everything I was told to do was told I would be amazing by all the trainers and that I would go far, wasnt my supervisors best friend, so I got fired.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Good Developers but bad Company Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

As a senior developer, you are working with a group of senior developers, and developers are working together to get things done

Cons

As posted on Internet by Company Management, Netflix DOES NOT treat employee as a member of family, you have to be always prepared that your manager would let you go because:

1. You did a great job and mission is complished, so they don't have to keep you anymore
    2. Your manager find a person "better" than you
    3. Project did not work out smoothly, developer is likely the one to be blamed.

Advice to Management

No advice

"Great place if you can handle the pressure."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Amazing CEO, autonomy, responsibility, ownership at all levels. People are always on top of their game so it's possible to accomplish a lot in a short period of time. Communication from the top is clear and actionable. The best ideas do win out, as long as there are numbers to back them up.

Cons

Extreme arrogance is encouraged. Management skills are not valued. If you can't prove an idea with numbers, the idea may as well not exist. Many employees spend a significant portion of their time wondering if they'll be let go because smart and successful people are often let go in the hope that it will make room for newer, fresher talent. The people who aren't wondering are the employees too arrogant to realize that it could happen to them.

Advice to Management

No advice. The leadership team has chosen to create a pressure cooker environment because they believe that it will achieve the best results. They may be right.