Netflix - Total Lack Of Respect For Employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

"Total Lack Of Respect For Employees"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

-$$$$$$$$$$!!! ($13-$14/hr to start w/full time hours immediately)
-Free rental subscription--the highest one they offer (8 @ a time)
-Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance available right away
-free food in breakroom along with Netflix connection & big screen TV to watch shows
-showers in bathrooms if you walk/ride a bike and need to clean up before work
-peers are fun to work with
-high speed internet & laptops available to check e-mail, facebook, myspace on breaks

Cons

-fear-based company
-anyone higher up than you will NOT respect you. Period.
-cliquish environment (if you're not with the in crowd, you're invisible.)
-very poor communication about job performance
-do not uphold their own company values
-rarely promote from within
-contradictions galore!

In the nine days I was there for training before being unfairly dismissed, I saw several examples of employees being treated like children and unreasonably scolded. One girl was in the classroom 5 minutes before break was over. She suddenly had a bathroom emergency, so she left quickly to take care of it. She made it back just as they were shutting the door. On the next break, she was taken aside by the supervisor (supe) who said, "I noticed you made it back from break just as I was shutting the door. I just wanted to let you know that's unacceptable. You need to be back from break several minutes early." (In other words, you really don't get your full break.) She apologized, saying she'd been there five minutes early but had an emergency. He said, "I'm sure it won't happen again."

One girl had to call in sick because her child gave her the flu. They forced her to speak to three different people who scolded her, the last of which was the call center manager himself! He said he was going to give her the opportunity to come in for the rest of the week.

Another girl simply asked her neighbor for a pen during class. She was pulled into a conference room afterward and told by two different supes that talking during class was unacceptable and wouldn't be tolerated.

Netflix has a zero-tolerance policy for what they call "push back". They touched on this very briefly in class during our second week of training. The example they gave was this: "If your supe tells you to change something and you say, 'I don't feel like it, so I'm not going to', that's considered push back and will not be tolerated." Basically, it's outright insubordination. My supe said I needed to work on verifying every account. When people call in, their account auto-pops onscreen....unless they don't give their service code to the automated answering service before they're transferred to a live person. This happens about half the time and it's mostly people who don't have accounts and are just asking about the service. So I asked my supe, "Is that even when they're just calling with a general question about the website?" He said we needed to at least ask for a name and warned me that what I'd just said was considered push back but he'd let it slide this time. I was baffled but just said, "Okay." The same supe told me he liked that I was resolution oriented because that was a good thing. An hour later, he took it back saying it was bad and I needed to focus on empathy. When I was let go, they gave me the opportunity to give feedback. I mentioned the contradictions I'd noticed and also that I didn't understand how asking a simple question during training was considered "push back". I was told that it's all about perception and I just wasn't a right fit. They also said this sort of thing happens often.

Before you go to work for Netflix, ask yourself this: if the pay is excellent and the benefits are great, why is the turnover rate at Netflix so high??? Why are there so many bad employee reviews out there? Notice the recurring themes in the reviews, i.e. lack of respect, no job security, fear based business, no career growth opportunity, etc. There comes a time when the realization that it's not everybody else, it's the company, has to set in.

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable with your employees. Maybe if you applied the same amount of empathy you insist on for call flow to your staff, people would be more inclined to stay with you.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Good for the short run, high turnover, long hours, don't get too comfortable"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Health insurance from day 1 is always nice.

Cons

Hostile work environment. They are constantly hiring and firing. If you don't meet the metrics, be prepared to walk. Management fires people and says nothing to their teammates. You can take a reduction in pay to get vacation time which I found completely ridiculous. I did not ever feel like they appreciated the hard work that I did. I exceeded all metrics, trained new hires, and monitored the team chat for assisting on calls. People who have worked there for 2 years have never gotten a raise.

In addition to the above, I found the people there to be extremely unhealthy. Netflix offers food in the break room, but all of it is cheap with high sodium levels and MSG. simply add water, heat and serve. I'll pass.

The customers can also be downright abusive at times. Why on earth do you feel the need to cuss someone out when your movie didn't arrive? Calm down folks!

Advice to Management

Offer incentives for good service other than allowing the reps to keep their jobs.

"Decent Place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

In this time of uncertainty, this is a good job. You have to be self motivated and naturally competitive to survive here.
    -Free food for working mandatory extra hours.
    -Stock option
    -Free subscription
    -Clean facilities good

Cons

-A bit scary in terms of job security at first. If you're scared for your job after being there for a few months, then you are likely not a good fit.
    -Advancement is limited and competitive.
    -Getting approved time off.
    -AOL, little old ladies, prepaid cards, IW history, all authorizations in general.

Advice to Management

Management is a little iffy, but improving. There are some internal changes happening that I notice that address a lot of issues mentioned here. I hated the mandatory extra hours, but after addressing my concerns to my supervisor, my needs were met. WFM has their job to do with their own set of guidelines, so it can feel like they are unresponsive. Persistence pays off and complaining to your co-workers will get you nowhere.