Netflix - Fear-based culture | Glassdoor

"Fear-based culture"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Higher than market salary
Free lunches
Unlimited PTO

Cons

Fear-based, highly competitive culture driven by upper management. Mid-management is forced to follow the suit otherwise it will be their job on the line. Everyone is under pressure to deliver but nobody provides guidance as to what is expected. If you're a super-star you're supposed to figure it out on your own.
Zero tolerance to even small mistakes - you're expected to work as a perfect robot. If you made a mistake you're out immediately, no chance for correction.
Zero communications about your performance - it is all up to management to decide how you're doing. So you don't know whether you made or making mistakes.
Project management does not exist, hence no planning is happening, just loose email exchanges.
You don't feel as part of the team, there are virtually no teams, just people trying to prove something and keep their jobs. As a result many decisions are short-sited since they provide immediate credit, long-term decisions are usually on back-burner until all of a sudden they become critical and then it is all hands on deck.
You're expected to work long hours and weekends on regular basis.
Basically if you accepted an offer you're owned by Netflix.
Documentation is non-existent, people are secretive about knowledge transfer.
All in all Netflix's motto Freedom comes with Responsibility turns into the situation when company has freedom to do whatever it wants and employees have all responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Trust and respect people. The fact that you pay high salaries and provide unlimited PTO does not mean that you own people's lives. Give people freedom for mistake, at least one. One mistake means nothing especially in first year of employment. Encourage planning.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Take What You Can Get"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Surrounded by quality/competent people.
    Immediate health benefits.
    Highest dvd plan.
    No script.
    Encourages employees to take initiative, and is fairly open to allow employees to make judgment calls when where there are no definitive guidelines in place.
    Supervisors are talented and empathic individuals, with plenty of knowledge and support to offer.

Cons

Monotonous/repetitive job. Taking on average 80-110 calls daily. If you are not a talker, this job won't pan out for you. Upper management is generally ineffective and out of touch with the common CSR. Guidelines and strategy are routinely changed, with no clear purpose for the change.

Advice to Management

Give more authority to the supervisors, who seem to be more in touch (and more competent) to the duties of being a customer service rep.

"Smart People; Poor Management"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Pay 14 bucks to start
    Free Plan
    Super Smart team mates. Leaving my team was the worst part of loosing my job. They were all smart, witty and funny

Cons

Fear based management
    No rules or policies
    No paid time off

My first TM (team manager) spoke to me for a total of 10 minutes during my first 6 months there. She was fired without explanation after 360 reviews. My second TM was present during all team meetings but was usually busy on a laptop IM'ing with someone else rather than participating.

Even during my firing she was on her phone texting. I was given no information outside of a prepared packet and was asked to sign zero paperwork. I was escorted from the building like a criminal and the only reason anyone knew I had left was because of a pre-written email I was able to send when I returned to my desk to gather my things. Fear for your job makes you write an exit email months before you loose your job

Advice to Management

Speak to your employees! Don't treat adults like they are children. TM's should give Supervisors the ability to make decisions about their teams rather than having to go through multiple people to get an answer. Give good feedback along with bad. I only received praise about awesome statistics when I brought it up to my supe. Realize that the pool of people in Portland is dwindling and people are aware of how bad the conditions really are. No amount of free mac and cheese can bring in the masses.