Netflix - The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

"The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

So far I am incredibly impressed with Netflix. This is by far the highest concentration of smart people I have ever seen at one company and I have worked in Silicon Valley for over 20 years at large and small companies. In addition, not only are they smart but also very helpful and ego free. I read the culture slide deck before I started but wondered if they actually "walked the walk". I've found the answer to that question to be "absolutely".

If you are not a really smart, driven person who can operate completely independently and with little direction from management, then you will not be happy or successful at Netflix. There is no hand holding, and expectations are high. But if you are the kind of person that craves lots of freedom and responsibility than you will love it.

In the period of time I've been here, I have personally seen several people get promoted from engineers to managers and from managers to directors. There is a lot of career growth as the company is growing like gangbusters right now and if you are great you will love it and thrive.

Cons

If you are looking for safety and worried that you won't get another job somewhere else, Netflix is not the place for you. Basically, Netflix operates like a Startup company. There is no hand holding, you have to make lots of important decisions on your own, you have to be proactive about seeking out help and information, and the culture is fast paced and filled with lots of people who would be the smartest guys in the room at other companies. At Netflix the whole room is filled with those guys. If that intimidates you or scares you, thats a sign its not a good fit for you. If that lights you up and excites you, then you will love working at Netflix.

Advice to Management

Its going to be a challenge to preserve the unique culture as the company grows. Please keep focusing on freedom and responsibility and make sure new managers totally get that aspect of the culture. That is what attracted me to Netflix and I want to see it continue as we grow.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"Work was going well, but I was fired for being sick"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Free Netflix subscription, good compensation for what you are doing, just sitting and talking really. They also allow you to use your own judgement when compensating customers for problems.

Cons

I was ahead of the curve for a new hire, things were going well. I got sick a couple of times and then a week after my last absence, they fired me at the start of my work week. I just wish they would have said something like, you can't miss one more day or we will have to let you go, something along those lines.

Advice to Management

If you have written-in-stone guidelines such as an attendance policy, those guidelines should be something shared with the people that they are being enforced on. Because how are you supposed to obey a law, if you honestly don't know it exists,

"Best run company I have ever been with and I have been with some good orgs."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Amazingly smart people. Business looks easy but is complicated--hard problems to solve which is why I am here. I get to do work that affects our customers, directly...way cool that my role has that much impact.

Cons

Not everyone wants the culture to work--and that is disappointing.

Advice to Management

Keep the course with the business and the culture.