Netflix - My advice - accept job here, get kicked out after half year | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

"My advice - accept job here, get kicked out after half year"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Higher than industry average salary.

Cons

Read other reviews of former employees. Out of all people that I worked with at the time more than 80% were kicked out. Most of them are bright engineers.

My advice - if you are offered a position in Netflix fight for the highest salary possible. In any case expect to be fired soon. Maybe after a year, maybe sooner, maybe later.

Advice to Management

You don't need to worry. Everything is well. Your stock grows like crazy until you are out of talent and noone wants to work for you anymore.

Other Employee Reviews for Netflix

"If Netflix was a TV show: Action Series with a Hint of Survivor"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

* "Freedom and Responsibility Culture" = Lots of individual control (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you're part of a well-run team, you'll love it
    - Excellent compensation
    - Unique stock option program with personal choice for $$$ allocated
    - Fast-paced environment with lots of challenges
    - It's the largest streaming movie service in the world and it's just getting better
    - Extremely open with corporate information sharing (no internal culture of secrecy like Apple)
    - Incredible execution over the last couple years - the methods can be controversial, but you can't argue with the quarterly/annual results

Cons

* "High Performance Culture" = You can hang yourself easily and get canned (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you join a mis-managed group, you'll be posting a negative review on here soon. :-)
    - Average benefits programs
    - Inexperienced managers can mis-apply the "high performance culture" philosophy and lead to the "culture of fear" some people have complained about in certain organizations
    - Double-standard for performance: VP/C-level staff appear immune from "high performance culture". Reed rocks, but some of the others are average/good, not exceptional.

Advice to Management

In almost two years at Netflix: Some people LOVE working at Netflix, some cautiously tolerate it. Too much of this is dependent on whether they're working for a competent manger that is assumed to properly apply the "high performance culture" philosophy.

The desire to streamline HR by getting rid of almost all policies and procedures means no "professional development" for your management teams. There needs to be a level of education for new managers (hired and promoted. Don't assume everyone "get's it" in order to make sure the "high performance culture" is properly applied. Done right, people will know what's expected of them, get regular feedback from their managers, and KNOW if they're on the short list for being let go as business needs change. They can react to this and either adapt or anticipate why they're getting a severance package. For most employees, Netflix is a short-term roller-coaster ride with options to ride again for those who enjoy it. When someone exits the ride, you want them leaving with a smile and the civil handshake, not a brick to the head and a just a check to cushion the pain.

I've been lucky to work for a manger who's awesome, and I've been having a great time. It's painful to see the flip side where co-workers are not always enjoying the same perspective when the company is doing so well as a whole.

"The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

So far I am incredibly impressed with Netflix. This is by far the highest concentration of smart people I have ever seen at one company and I have worked in Silicon Valley for over 20 years at large and small companies. In addition, not only are they smart but also very helpful and ego free. I read the culture slide deck before I started but wondered if they actually "walked the walk". I've found the answer to that question to be "absolutely".

If you are not a really smart, driven person who can operate completely independently and with little direction from management, then you will not be happy or successful at Netflix. There is no hand holding, and expectations are high. But if you are the kind of person that craves lots of freedom and responsibility than you will love it.

In the period of time I've been here, I have personally seen several people get promoted from engineers to managers and from managers to directors. There is a lot of career growth as the company is growing like gangbusters right now and if you are great you will love it and thrive.

Cons

If you are looking for safety and worried that you won't get another job somewhere else, Netflix is not the place for you. Basically, Netflix operates like a Startup company. There is no hand holding, you have to make lots of important decisions on your own, you have to be proactive about seeking out help and information, and the culture is fast paced and filled with lots of people who would be the smartest guys in the room at other companies. At Netflix the whole room is filled with those guys. If that intimidates you or scares you, thats a sign its not a good fit for you. If that lights you up and excites you, then you will love working at Netflix.

Advice to Management

Its going to be a challenge to preserve the unique culture as the company grows. Please keep focusing on freedom and responsibility and make sure new managers totally get that aspect of the culture. That is what attracted me to Netflix and I want to see it continue as we grow.