New England Research Institutes - Needs to support junior and mid-level employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New England Research Institutes

"Needs to support junior and mid-level employees"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager
Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager

Pros

Flexible hours and good benefits. Good place to start if your are just out of school and want to experience the health field.

Cons

Very low pay compared to other organizations. Very high turnover as people become frustrated with lack of support in developing their career. Employees can feel undervalued here.

Advice to Management

Provide support to employees to retain good talent.

Other Employee Reviews for New England Research Institutes

1. "Statistician"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at New England Research Institutes as a contractor

Pros

Good experience for entry level

Cons

lack of funding, too much work.

Advice to Management

N/A

"A difficult but honest review: make sure you do your research here"

Pros

I am hesitant to even write this, but want to conduct a fair analysis. There are some great people, some lovely work to be done, and some good core values that appear attractive on its surface. There are some positives to the overall structure of the company where if you work hard and want to expand your role you can ask management and they may or may not take you seriously. From what I have observed it seems like this does operate on favoritism a bit but to be fair to the company, it also can depend on your personal skills, degrees, how aggressively you pursue opportunities, and the department that you are in. You may find that your department doesn't have any growth for you to take advantage of.

The pay isn't actually that bad, but most can be offered more or took cuts to come to the company with the promise of varying roles or responsibilities. Some employees mention that the job position had a higher salary listing and they were negotiated down after the interview phase, which doesn't surprise me but also explains the massive turn over rate.

Company does do some great events and parties etc. around the holiday time to recognize employees, which is great.
    There are also some significant caveats that I'll mention below.

Cons

Many employees were told/some even promised or told that promotions/increased job titles, etc. would occur and they would be utilized in a particular manner, which never occurred. It was just a bad practice to try to get someone in the door by being intentionally false or misleading. Some cases of this were more blatant than others.

Someone in upper level management (in a department where this absolutely should not occur- HR) actually stated to an employee that was leaving "Well you just are a part of the generation that wants instant gratification and I have trouble dealing with that generation-- have you asked your Mum and Dad about your decision to leave and the job market that you'll face out there?" The employee was young (younger than myself by at least 10 years I'd say) , but age discrimination is not OK in either direction, and the employee was moving for a better title and salary at a great company.

There are friendships that affect the ability of HR to fire other management personnel that have treated their subordinates horrendously, and cost the company a number of good candidates in retention rate. The turn over has been unbelievable in the past year and a half that I've been around-- not quite hard to believe given the whole "make promises to get them in the door" scheme.

The "open concept" idea is horrible. I work in a cube so it doesn't affect me but the administrative offices have floating desk areas and if anyone needs to go see someone you feel awkward waiting outside of an office and simultaneously breathing down another employee's neck/facing their back. Not sure why any companies are really doing this to be frank, all of the research and opinions on this concept have shown it decreases employee satisfaction AND work productivity.

I've found that across the board, employees are discouraged from pointing out when a superior has made a mistake (particularly across departments). I believe this to be a factor in decreased employee moral in a lot of these reviews.

Advice to Management

Understand that your employees are depending on you to make realistic statements instead of "with your background we would love to have you work on organizational structure/more research/management/etc. once you get used to your role" that never comes to fruition and leads to high rates of turnover.

Investigate what is being said in particular departments. The employee that shared the age-discrimination based comment wasn't the first I've heard of something inappropriate being said by someone in a position of power. Understand that employees might not feel comfortable reporting or may not be able to report if things of this nature are coming from departments that are intended to receive such reports.

More structure in the oversight/supervision departments and also making sure that supervisors are trained adequately. Also, some managers supervise people that don't seem to benefit from the supervision at all, they are supervising individuals with skills/backgrounds/experience/accolades/etc. that go beyond the supervisor of the department and are being underutilized.