New School - The New School was a very exciting environment! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New School

"The New School was a very exciting environment!"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Research Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at New School part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The New School for Social Research is a cutting edge university doing incredible research at the forefront of many fields. It was a great work environment, the faculty and staff are very committed to what they do, and pleasant to be around and work with.

Cons

The university itself has a lot of funding issues, and needs to reevaluate salaries and budgets. Graduate students in the Social Research division definitely need more teaching opportunities!

Other Employee Reviews for New School

1. "Student worker part time event coordinator"

Current Employee - Event Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Event Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at New School part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros include working close with faculty and staff, flexibility in making your own schedule, and gaining experience working with officials in government and the nonprofit sector.

Cons

Cons include a disorganized atmosphere, little management or oversight, and the challenge of balancing full time student life with work.

2. "An overall good experience."

Current Employee - Lab Aide in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lab Aide in New York, NY

I have been working at New School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for little work. Lots of downtime. Unlimited sick days.

Cons

The New School review - the school forgets itself as part of an educational institution and attempts to set itself in a fashion that's too administrative; yes, one can be too administrative. There's a level of understanding already ingrained into the system where we, as lab aids, don't have to follow these arbitrary jurisdictions. Like, for example, the establishment has developed an unnecessary grading system. Its a waste of time. I also developed an issue with calling people users. Its a safety net to not offend but it doesn't its on a level that's disrespectful, to me. I'd prefer "student" or person. Gentleman. Lady. Etc.

Advice to Management

I advise you to create a less formal work relationship. Not only say hello but introduce yourself as management and ask how they're doing, it'll ease in your new workers. Let your employees use Facebook. A little bit of music in the lab would help too. Especially the EQC. Obviously, nothing vulgar but nonetheless.