New York City Department of Education - The hours, salary and a 10 month work year....."Awesome" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

"The hours, salary and a 10 month work year....."Awesome""

Current Employee - School Secretary/Payroll/Princ in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - School Secretary/Payroll/Princ in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a School Secretary, we get the same benefits as the teachers. Same union, same hours, and a 10 month work year with all holidays (breaks) as the students. Where else can you work 185 days and get paid for 12 months. Also, 2 months off for summer with pay......

Cons

Must be able to interact with children and parents. Job duties are challenging at times, but definately makes the day go by. As a NYC employee, we have been working without a contract for over 4 years, no have we received any pay raises during this time.

Advice to Management

Reward those who go above and beyond. The mayor of NYC and Chancellor Walcott need to negotiate and sign our contracts and give us a fair raise!.

Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education

1. "Great experience, great enviroment, positive people"

Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, enviroment, pay many benefits.

Cons

Require many things out of you

Advice to Management

Ease up on the reps

2. "One of toughest jobs in my life."

Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits were very comprehensive, which may have changed since I retired in 2008. Teacher salary schedules always increase every year by a certain percentage and if you decide to pursue higher education (MS, MA), the you're automatically raised to a higher pay scale.

Cons

The department offers minimal teaching support for first year teachers. I also needed more instruction on classroom management, especially since I was hired in the South Bronx. Administrative staff at my school was not very supportive.