KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee

Pays Well, Bureaucratic

Aug 7, 2022 - High School Math Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

pays well, good benefits, pension, TDA

Cons

paperwork to do anything, not always prompt. Got excessed thanks to Eric Adams' budget cuts

1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Valuable Classroom Experience

Aug 31, 2022 - Substitute Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Job flexibility, great hours, reasonable expectations

Cons

Not full-time work, inconsistent schedule

2. 2.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

New Teacher

Sep 8, 2022 - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

You are doing life changing work. You are working with bright and kind people. You can see improvement in children that you helped them reach, even if it's really minor.

Cons

Teaching in the modern day is like having your soul sucked out of you. Overworked, undertrained, overstressed. Add on the difficulties of special education and New York. I also had no idea the difference between D75 and 'regular' special education when I applied--they both seemed the same to me but, while I have loved the kids in D75 in spite their quirks, it's clear that the resources just aren't all the way there, even at the functional ones, and the understanding isn't there at the less functional schools. From a short time in a classroom, it feels obvious to me that one of the biggest changes needed is salary, though I guess I'm speaking what everyone already knows. If I got paid $80k this would be sustainable, at $61k as a new teacher still studying for my master's in this awful economy I can barely afford rent, my subsidized master's, food, and the supplies I need to buy (out of pocket) for my classroom. I am thinking that I will finish up my two year program and then exit to an education policy role to try to fight for this change but when I started my program I was hoping to teach at least 5 years and had dreams of becoming admin. Teachers with more experience easily deserve $100k after the type of inflation the last 20 years (and especially last year) have wrought. Very quickly while working within the system I have had my optimism crushed about the possibility of improvement to our public education systems coming from within. I was naive.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about New York City Department of Education.

New York City Department of Education Photos

+ Add Photo
New York City Department of Education photo of: Herbert H. Lehman H.S.
New York City Department of Education photo of: 5th grade writing celebration
New York City Department of Education photo of: school
New York City Department of Education photo of: If you want to teach for the NYCDOE, get to know this building!
New York City Department of Education photo of: Basketball Game