New York Foundation for Senior Citizens - Poorly run non-profit | Glassdoor

"Poorly run non-profit"

Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Employee in New York, NY

I worked at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros of working at NYFSCGS include meaningful work. The organization assists some of the most vulnerable citizens of New York City, who would otherwise be profoundly at risk. You will make a real difference in the lives of some really interesting people.

Cons

I strenuously recommend against working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens Guardian Services, Inc. The work is difficult, and there is limited employee support, including no Human Resources department to which complaints, concerns, etc. can be escalated, and absolutely no career development opportunities. Additionally, the pay for most employees is extremely low, while upper management (VP and above) earn substantial salaries that are inflated given the budget of the organization and out of line with industry best practices.

Advice to Management

Management is not interested in hearing feedback from employees, former employees, or even paid consultants!

Other Employee Reviews for New York Foundation for Senior Citizens

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Case Manager
    Current Employee - Case Manager

I have been working at New York Foundation for Senior Citizens full-time

Pros

The overall atmosphere of working here is nice. It's quiet and no one bothers us so we are able to get our work done. I was actually surprised reading some of the reviews because some of the complaints seem like an extreme exaggeration from those who should never have been working in this field in the first place. When working for a non-profit, especially in an office with 20 people, you shouldn't expect to have your own personal office, since most of the money is going towards helping the clients. DFTA requires us to monitor our clients because as case managers that is our job, and we are responsible for ensuring their safety once we are hired. The office sometimes has potlucks and parties and the director tries her best to always keep the office morale positive. It's nice to work in a place where you feel like your supervisors actually care about you and want to help make your experience better. The flexible schedule and ability to schedule our own visits is also a major plus.

Cons

The work can sometimes get hectic when many clients all have needs at once. However, our ability to make our own schedule which is very flexible allows us to get it all done at our own pace.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the agency will be able to hire new case managers soon, especially bilingual ones, as we do have some clients that are unassigned.

2. "stay away"

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

Pros

The clients' appreciation for your help is the only great thing. Flexibility to schedule your field days are also good, but not enough to make everything is worth it.

Cons

We have no personal space. Think about a computer lab in your old high school--this is exactly how we sit. We breathe on each other, bump into each other's chairs all the time. Why doesn't upper management arrange a new office? Because they don't care about their employees. I find it incredible that the workplace is so strained that we even have a mini fridge, no kitchen or lunch room. Secondly, DFTA requires us to treat our clients as babies and there is constant monitoring them for silly reasons.

The organization is highly understaffed due to so many employees leaving each month. It is not common for 10 people to leave within a few months. That says it all. The supervisors are not all the same and some are much better than others. There are cliques and gossip sometimes, although mostly everyone is cordial with each other. The work is sometimes stressful, especially because of the understaffed issue and upper management taking 10 years to hire new people. We are constantly badgered to help with work that is not particularly our responsibility. -Again, If we even had a cubicle maybe it make everything better.

Advice to Management

get a new office space, check your supervisory staff's mannerisms more often .