New York Life - It was always a great place to work, but it's going through major changes turning the company upside down. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

"It was always a great place to work, but it's going through major changes turning the company upside down."

Current Employee - Information Systems Manager in Sleepy Hollow, NY
Current Employee - Information Systems Manager in Sleepy Hollow, NY

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are alot of great opportunities and different projects to work on.

Cons

As I was always told, if you want to get anywhere in the company, you need a hook, someone that will promote you. It's very difficult to move ahead without that. I've seen it first hand quite often even with the latest layoff where some were saved and others weren't.

Advice to Management

Watch out for the hippocrits that talk a good line but aren't always the most trustworthy.

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

1. "Expect Static"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Austin, TX

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your salary and benefits packages could be accommodating, but unfortunately that's all that is accommodating. My review is skewed because my experience was in only one job function there; in advance, I apologize for the biases.

Cons

Lazy and disconnected management who most likely do not deeply understand the day to day functions of "regular" employees, or those employees who are not in the management circle. There's a disconnect between customer service and efficiency. As an employee of one of the claims departments, the goal was to swiftly process reimbursements. The process to do so is archaic and very deficient. The only way to succeed at it is to practice the same foolishly time-wasting practices ad nauseum until becoming remarkably adroit in theses methods. Before my departure from the company, a new system to process reimbursements was in development, but those developing the product did not communicate directly with the associates using it, only the managers overseeing and not completing the day-to-day processes of said associates. Too many layers between the people who could communicate the necessary product improvements and those who could implement them left the forthcoming internal tool in a continuously spiraling decay of a potentially functioning system. In other words, the developers did not consult the workers who could provide the most useful insights. The chain of communication was flawed.

Advice to Management

Please see the above "cons" section.

2. "The company you keep"

Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The most trusted finacial company, highest rating than any other companies. Great training.

Cons

FBI background check - very hard to get in. Training starts from very basic. Cookie cutter work flow model.

Advice to Management

Each agent is different in strength and market. Managers have to be aware of that and adjust managing method. Cookie-cutter aproach won't work.