New York Life - Prospect | Glassdoor

"Prospect"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have the market you have the ability to excel quickly. What sets people apart is who is willing to prospect everyday all day and who is not. If you are very outgoing, smooth, and love to help people this is a great job for you. Although, it is a TOUGH job for the first three years. You have to attain footing and confidence from clients and keep looking for new ones in new ways. If you are great at meeting new people and getting them to listen then this is the job for you!

Cons

The first three years are hell and this job tests you everyday, but if you stick with it its worth it in the end.

Advice to Management

dont set competition between your agents.

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

"I have been lied to and mislead for over a year."

Current Contractor - Financial Services Professional in Raleigh, NC
    Current Contractor - Financial Services Professional in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at New York Life as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I do not have anything good to say.

Cons

When I was recruited, I was told that I had to produce $500 a month of commission ( at 50% which is well below industry average) to qualify for $2,320. They failed to mention this is an 80% match to your sales up to $3,000. I signed a lease for a house after contracting because I was led to believe that I would take home $2,820 as long as I made $500. If you make $500 they will add $400 making it $900 before tax.

There is very little invested in your personal development. You are required to come to classes on Monday morning that teach you nothing but basic product and sales tips. After the first month or two these become completely worthless.

The management pushes for "case rate" because "it will make you successful." The truth is they push for case rate because the more cases you right the higher the percentage of your commissions their bonus is.

There is virtually no support unless you are a top producer. They have a "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" mentality

Advice to Management

Support your new hires and it would reduce the number of agents and registered reps you lose to your competitors. I would also enforce stricter compliance policies on how compensation is explained in the recruiting process.

"new york life pros and cons"

Former Employee - Financial Service Professional in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Service Professional in Boston, MA

I worked at New York Life part-time (More than a year)

Pros

good highly rated mutual insurer. Great training.

Cons

They don't provide enough leads and leave you to your own devices, encouraging you to solicit friends and family, which is alienating all around

Advice to Management

Need to inspire agents better and provide more resources to get them the right leads and keep them