New York Life - Great company, great benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

"Great company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Sugar Land, TX
Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great company
- good help from partners, senior partners, other agents
- great benefits/rewards depending on sales
- convenience

Cons

- salary depends simply on how much work you put
- the more clients you sign policies with, the more money you make. simple

Advice to Management

None, management is great in houston area

Other Employee Reviews for New York Life

"If you're interested in a career, look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

I have been working at New York Life full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Basic life insurance policy comes as part of employment. Outside that, there are no pros. None. Not a one.

Cons

New management team has systematically destroyed what had been a great company to work for. We're three years into a seemingly never ending re-org, with one failed and abandoned management structure after another. Three years with the ever impending specter of being laid off hanging over our head. And three years of having every single employee consideration taken away from us.

Retirement plan? Gutted.
    Telecommuting? Gone.
    Flexible hours? Gone.
    Benefit package? Gutted.
    Any hope of promotions? Gone.

There is no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Advice to management is obviously a lost cause. The previous CEO spent his career building strong trust and mutual respect between employees and management, ensuring a high moral and devotion to the company.

In the past 3 years, the new CEO has dismantled what had taken decades to build. Employee moral is universally low to non-existent. There is no employee devotion to the company unless you choose to consider compelled overtime to be devotion. Many talented employees have already left, and many more are actively searching for better opportunities.

The speed at which this company has turned from one of employee friendliness to one of a thinly veiled animosity and disrespect towards employees has been astounding. What had been a company I was proud to work for has now become one I can't wait to leave.

"behind the times."

I worked at New York Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

salary/benefits are above par. Most of the agents are good people. Company stability (for now).

Cons

senior management thinks it's 1950. if you have been there for 10+ years you can get away with anything. my banshee of a manager actually said she doesn't trust people from who have worked at other firms (?!?). absolutely clueless, Nurse Ratched type of woman. multiple regulatory censures/fines just waiting to happen. seriously deficient in sales supervision practices.

Advice to Management

Out with old, in with the new! A few fines from FINRA & the SEC will snap you into the 21st century...